What's harder? Full time stay at home mom or working mom?

MiMaMa227

Asked by MiMaMa227 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in About CafeMom

• I was a SAHM and now I work..I believe working outside the home is harder. As soon as I walk in the door, I have to start dinner, do a load of laudry, feed the dog, etc etc....
    and still give lovin to my daughter.
    Working you have less time for everything and going to the food store on the weekend stinks because everybody and their sister is there.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 3:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have been both and working moms have it so rough! I would much rather stay home with my dd, but because of the economy and all that is impossible. My day starts early and ends late at night, it is run run run, work, cook, clean, laundry, baths, tuck in, sleep. I wake up totally exhausted everyday!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 3:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I totally agree. Hubby and I work FT, commute together, drop off and pick up baby together.. and STILL find it hard to do everything, and still have time for her, and then us.

BUT- SAHM's are owed much much credit as well. I personally could not do it. I need adult interaction.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 3:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i think it depends on the person. i have friends that just cannot handle being a SAHM. it is not that they don't want to, but that they are better moms when they are working. i don't think either one is easy (i have been both) there are challenges to them both and depending on the person, one might be easier than that other. being a working mom outside the home, i found was much easier (since i had contact with other adults through out the day) than being a full time SAHM, as i am now.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• When I worked full time I was always exhausted. I can't imagine how working mom's do it.
    I was a SAHM, myself, and I also raised and canned or froze.most of our own fruits and vegetables, I did all the labor in a large garden except dig the earth. So I worked very hard to take care of the food and to make breads and everything else that I could from scratch. In addition to child care. I was tired all the time. Even so, I think the full- time working mom who comes home and has to do laundry and cleaning and child care and meals must be even more tired than I was.

Answer by Bmat at 3:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Both are difficult. The SAHM gets very little respect from the family because she is not viewed as having a "real" job to help support them. Very little respect from her peers for the same reason. The working mom is ridiculed for not staying home to take care of her children, told that she is being selfish for wanting to work outside the home.

Either way, SAHMs and SAHDs work endlessly with no "End of the Work Day" timecard. Working out of the home Moms and Dads pull double duty because everything that didn't get done during the work day must be accomplished before bed. No matter what you do, you will still be working yourself silly to raise your kids.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I don' t yet know. I am expecting my first child, and while I think working outside the home would be exhausting, I think staying at home might be more so. I figure that SAHM's are at home pretty much 24/7 with the kids and are not able to have that separation and interaction with other adults as often. I have a medical condition and was at home for the better part of 3 years, and didn't have kids then either, and I went crazy without the adult social interaction.
    stephgood1

Answer by stephgood1 at 3:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I work full time, but only 3 days in the office, 2 days at home with the kids. I have to say that althought the days I go to the office are hectic, getting the kids up and out in the morning, packing lunches, and all they need for daycare, picking them up, getting them dinner, bathed, laundry, dishes, blah blah blah blah blah.... the 2 days I am home with them are just as hard but in a very different way, they seem to be more, I don't know what the word is, but by the time DH comes home I feel beat up! The time I spend IN the office is like vacation, all of my time at home is chaos! I can't imagine having to work full time and commute 5 days a week, that has to be toughest, unless of course, you have a maid and full time cook ;)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My Opinion - I have done both and I have kids ranging from 21 to 3 so I have hit all aspects of the effects and I will have to say that they are equal, just in different outlooks.
    You just have to know what to do when your are home all the time and you have to know what to do when you work full time. Schedules and routines are the best!
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have always worked and this is my first time being a stay at home mom. I say that staying at home is harder. It's just not meant for some people and I am one of those people. I'd much rather be working
    Anonymous