I have a very stubborn 3 yr old daughter. I thought of this a positive characteristic; as she doesnt follow everything others do. But it's getting extreme now. To the point where it makes me angry because she feels like she can always have things her way even when i say otherwise. Please... what do I do to make her understand that thereis a difference???

StarrCooKie

Asked by StarrCooKie at 3:52 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would try disciplining her. My DD is that same way. I could not always let her have her way so I would either give her 2 choices, if that was an option. If not then I would tell her she either needed to stop and listen to me or she was going in a time out.

I think it is just a matter of being firm and consistent with her.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Give her appropriate choices, even if the choice is listening to you or having a tantrum. Make sure you always follow through on the choices (so only give her options YOU can live with) and consequences. Never make a false threat - if you don't follow through, she'll think she can get away with whatever she wants. Stand firm and remember that you are the parent, no matter what she thinks. Stay as calm as possible when she gets really aggravating and even take a time out if you need to step away from her. Let her know that her behavior is making you very upset and frustrated and sad. Then return to the situation calm and in control.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I taught my dd the word compromise. I sat her down and explained the meaning of the word. It has cut down our stubbornness.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2009