Stay at home moms, do you feel criticized for not working because of today's economy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We make enough money that I do not need to work. I don't like it when SAHMs are on public assistance. That should not be allowed IMO. If you can afford it, no one has any right to criticize. I don't like it that my husband pays taxes so you can eat and stay at home on the computer all day, that is just not fair IMO.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 4:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• No, as long as we take care of everything that we need to it shouldnt matter to anyone else.
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 4:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Same with me. If I don't have to right now, why should I. I've been home 11 years and don't care what people say. I have a so called friend I used to work with who I know is jealous that I'm still home. What do you want me to say, we can manage our money better than her and her husband can. That's the key. Sure, extra money would be nice but who needs the stress of who'll watch them when they're home and I would have to work. I truly don't care what people say anymore. If I'm home for 20 years it's my business.
    elainecat

Answer by elainecat at 4:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• No, as long as DH makes enough money to support us I think it's fine. Hey, I'm not taking a job from someone who really needs it.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• We are thankful that my husband makes enough money so that I can stay home. We are both highly educated, though, and worked hard to get to this point. I suspect that some people I know are jealous that I can stay home and they can't, but some of them also love their jobs and wouldn't want to be SAHMs. I don't feel bad at all for not working. We don't need the money, and I don't see the point in taking a job from someone who DOES need the money.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 4:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I do not care either. I love staying home and actually financially it is better for me to stay home. When I left work I was working 40 hours a week and would have had 3 children in day care. It made sense for me to stay home and raise my kids.

I have been home for 7 years and I love it. I am very lucky that my husband is okay with the situation because we do not always have extra money.

I think people should do what is best for them.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yes, but that was because I had a job where I was working $80k+commission/yr in a management role and my fiance and I could go into my pockets and buy whatever we wanted. After I got my severance and vacation pay, I paid for us to move across the country, and I've been enjoying being home with the kids. My DF wishes that we could do more with the money he brings home, and he has his father living with us too, but we're doing alright. My DF heard that his job is laying people off and cutting everyone's pay, and I feel criticized because I usually have the "just in case" money. I am still looking for a job that will make me happy and pay me well, and it will happen one of these days, but for now, it's actually cheaper for me to be home with our kids.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 4:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• No, in fact the people who ask me what I do are jealous that I am able to stay at home with my son. If people want to criticize me thats fine I know that me being home with my son and bonding with him will make a better relationship in the future.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Frankly, with what child care, work clothes, extra gas, the extra food expenses (I make a lot of homemade stuff) would cost, I wouldn't be bringing home enough money to make it worth the time investment.

Plus my children would get sick more often and raise our out of pocket medical expenses and I would be getting grief at work for missing time due to my sick children.
    Anonymous

• Dh makes good money, and I LOVE that I am the one with my dd, the one teaching her everything and seeing her "first" everythings. I understand that some moms have to work, I am in school so I will work in the future, but right now, I am exactly where I want to be (currently sitting on the floor with dd while she plays)
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009