Keeping my linen closet smelling fresh?

Alright, here's my problem: the closet that I store my towels in always ends up smelling weird and musty. I have tried just about verything. Air fresheners, fabric softener sheets, storing candles in with the towels. I've even tried charcoal. I've pulled all of the towels out, scrubbed the cabinet with vinegar and water, I've scrubbed with bleach, washed all of the towels, then put them back. But it never fails, a few days later, they all smell again. Unfortunately, my house is old, and has very limited closet space. (It was built in 1900, so what closets we do have are tiny.) So relocating the towels to someplace else is impossible. Heck, they're not even in a hot or humid room. They're in a cabinet in the entryway/laundry room. I bought some of those laundry crystals the other day that are supposed to help keep your linens smelling fresh for longer. I just pulled all of the towels out and re washed them again with the laundry crystals. If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. Help! What do you do to keep your linen closet from smelling funky?

Eviesmommy

Asked by Eviesmommy at 12:40 PM on Mar. 23, 2012 in Home & Garden

• Maybe it is the wood? Could you try keeping the bulk of them in plastic containers on the shelves. And then have a few easy access ones hanging in the bathroom.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2012

• Can you repaint the inside of the closet? They have that paint that absorbs odors
    KILZ it 1st before you paint to seal in the funk,lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2012

• I was going to say dryer sheets, but nevermind since you've already tried that :) That's really odd! I hope those crystal things work. Good luck!
    janderson595

Answer by janderson595 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2012

• It's probably due to lack of aeration. Can you cut a bit out of the side or the door (or even change the door) and cover it with wire netting or gauze or whatever wouldn't look to bad? It could also be due to the linen not being 200% dry (it may be dry to touch but not dry enouigh for that particular closet). Have you tried lavender bags?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 1:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2012

• My grandmother always took a bar of soap and put in closets and drawers to keep things smelling fresh and nice. Any soap will do as long as you like the scent.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2012

• See, I knew you ladies would have some good ideas!
    Eviesmommy

Comment by Eviesmommy (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2012

• Winterglow, I'll have to try the lavender bags. Your other ideas are fantastic, but unfortunately, I rent. I'm not sure my landlord would appreciate me cutting into the cabinets.
    Eviesmommy

Comment by Eviesmommy (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2012