What's the best way to make a baby burp?

My baby is a month old and sometimes I have a hard time making my baby burp after I feed him. I've tried burping him after every ounce and sometimes that does work but there are times it doesnt. I've also tried doing it every 2 oz. I try to burp him on my shoulder (patting him and rubbing his back). Also sitting him on my lap and patting him and rubbing his back. There are times it works and there are times it takes a long time. What's the best way to make a baby burp? Give me suggestions and what works for you? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Rub his back up and down and even tickle his sides. Seriously. When you tickle them a little and make them squirm it helps move the gas so it will come out.
    Anonymous

• I set him on my lap and rubbed his back lightly. This seemed to work well.

Answer by Bmat at 4:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You might want to try and just burp him once half way through the feeding because he might now HAVE to burp every two ounces. Burp him once half way through then burp him after he is done. If your afraid of him getting gas build up get some mylicon drops and give them to him. It will make him poot out any extra gas. Don't worry about it unless his tummy feels bloated and he seems to be in pain from gas.
    Anonymous

• I meant to say he might NOT have to burp. Sorry.
    Anonymous

• With my DS sometimes I have to lay him back and then sit him back up a couple times or stand him up. I pat then if he hasn't burped I move him around so it moves the air around. Sometimes he doesn't burp until 10 or 15 minutes later. And when I pick up him and wrap my arms around him that little bit of pressure on his belly makes him burp.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i've found that sitting baby up and patting his back works the best
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 4:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009