2 1/2 year old

My 2 1/2 year old never wants to take a nap. She shares a room with her sister and they sit up and play all afternoon then they're ready for bed at about 7 pm. How can I get her to take a nap without having to separate them and take all of the toys out of the room?

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 4:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my youngest does that too, I have to separate them until my youngest falls asleep at night then i put my oldest to bed, my oldest doesn't take taps anymore so it's easier for naps.
    workenmom

Answer by workenmom at 4:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• When I was sharing a room with my younger sister my parents put a small tv and VCR in our room and when she would lay us down for a nap or for bed we would watch a calming kids movie (sleeping beauty, fantasia. Movies with not a lot of action to them and that don't fluctuate too much in sound). It worked for her. I do pretty much the same thing at night with my daughter, but for nap time I put on a calming cd of celtic music and that usually helps her get to sleep within 20 minutes of being laid down. She's 2 1/2 also
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 4:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I dont think a tv or cd player would work. She loves to unplug things. I have to check the baby monitor every night before I go up to bed because she unplugs it a lot through out the day. Its really frustrating. I don't dare put my 10 month old to bed before her because she just goes in and starts being noisy and wakes her up. I cant do it vice versa either bc she gets jealous when I let the 10 month old stay out in the living room with me
    agrafel

Answer by agrafel at 4:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• lol..im in the same boat as you..my 2 1/2 yr old doesnt think she needs to nap anymore either..im preggo so also take naps and sometimes i force her to lay in bed with me and nap. its very stress ful..ive decided to stop fighting making her nap becuase its more stress on me..unless i know she's tired and its obvious she takes a nap, i just try and stay up..she goes to bed easier when she doesnt nap.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 5:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• my older daughter who is now 3 1/2 wasnt like that when she was 2..she was easy
    tnteaton