How do YOU do it?

My daughter just turned one about three weeks ago and I still can't seem to manage a shower at a decent time of day! She goes to sleep around 10pm and I go to sleep after that. I have to get up at 7:30am to take my husband to school, so I get her up then too. Once in a while she will take a nap around 10am or 11am (and can take a shower) but usually not untill around 2pm. At that time my husbands home and either she is sleeping or he can watch her while I take a shower. But, I would REALLY love to take a shower at an earlier time of day. Any suggestions?

Love2BMommy77

Asked by Love2BMommy77 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You probably won't like my answer, but I think your daughter should go down earlier. She is only getting 91/2 hours at night. At that age they should be getting more like 12. If she goes down closer to 7:30 she will be more rested and you will have an evening that you can enjoy and even take a shower!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Take a shower in the morning. Put her in the entertainer with a video on and shower
    Anonymous

• In response to the second answer.....What is an "entertainer"? Do you mean like a jumperoo or something? If so, she outgrew that months ago. I have nothing that I can "strap her down" to, and even if I did, I don't think she would do well about it.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• By the end of the day the last thing I want is a late shower so I would get up a few minutes before I had to so I could shower, its a great way to wake up too. I also agree to put baby to bed around 8:oo or 8:30, she needs her sleep and you need to have time to yourself and time with SO. Getting her to bed at a better time will pay off when she/he starts pre-school, or regular school.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Lock her in the bathroom with you and give her toys or take her in the shower with you
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 4:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Do you have to wake her up when you get up? Can you take a shower right when you get up and let her sleep a few more minutes?
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 4:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If all else fails bring her in the shower with you! I had the same issue for a while. I got to a point where I would take out her nap so that she would go to bed earlier. She would go down at 8pm. Get up between 7-9am, and depending on her mood and whether she seems sleepy or not was when I would decide whether she got her nap. But after she grew out of her infant tub, it was baths and showers with my until she was almost a year old. So I know how you feel babe. Hang in there!
    ColorMeCurvy

Answer by ColorMeCurvy at 4:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree with the others that she should go to bed earlier. My 14 month old twins go to bed at 7:30pm and wake up at 6-7am. Plus they take two naps a day, 1-2 hours long.

You could get up at 7-7:15am and take a shower before you take your husband to school.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You may not realize it but the old advice of "get the child extra tired so they will sleep better" is flat out wrong. Overtired toddlers wake more easily in the night, have a harder time falling asleep at all, and will actually wake up earlier.
    My suggestions:
    Get her up at the same time, every morning. Even weekends.
    Get her into daylight within one hour of that for at least 10 minutes. A room with morning sun windows will work.
    Put her down for a morning nap 2 to 3 hours after she gets up. Keep an eye on her and get her into bed at the first quiet pause. Waiting until she is yawning is too late.
    Put her down for an afternoon nap 2 to 3 hours after she gets up from her first nap but before 4:30.
    Have a set bedtime routine and get her into bed by 8pm, but again, keep an eye on her and do not let her get overtired. Don't hesitate to put her in bed at 6:30 if she seems ready.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• And plop her in a playpen right outside the bathroom door and take your shower. Another option is to lock her in the bathroom with you - baby proof and put away anything you don't want her to have and give her a couple of special "shower time" toys.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2009