Boys playing with Barbies

My son likes to play with Barbies with his twin sister. They're 4 1/2. I just thought it was a phase at first, but now he wants to dress in girl clothes too. This is my first boy. Is this normal?

Teens-n-Twins

Asked by Teens-n-Twins at 5:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My husband's cousin's son ( follow? lol) is the only boy in a house full of girls. He has 4 older sisters. He went through a phase were he even had to have pony tails. He just sees what everyone else in the house does. Being that they're twins, he prob. feels close to his sister, there for wants to imitate her.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 6:04 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Since he's so close to his sister, he is probably just imitating her. But he needs to know that boys don't wear girl clothes. He needs to learn what it means to be a boy, and what boys do and that boys are different than girls. Get Dad to spend more "guy time" with him. Effeminate boys have a hard time in life.
    Anonymous

• I DON'T know if it is normal or not, but MY SON IS 8 and he still loves to play with dolls and dress up in girls clothes. we thought it would pass with age, but so far it has not. We just let him be him and do the things he enjoys.
    vintagechicken

Answer by vintagechicken at 6:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I don't think it matters. He just want to play what his sister is playing. That is what he sees, so that is what he is going to play. If you are having a hard time with it, maybe set up some play-dates with other boys his age?
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 6:51 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I agree with those who are saying more time with other boys or more dad time. My son is an only child and spends 99% of his time with me and he tells me when he grows up he is going to turn into a girl like me. He just turned three so right now I am not concerned I just tell him that he is a boy and will grow up to be a man...lol....then I redirect his attention..they are so infulential and want to please and he is seeing his sister play with dolls so he wants to do what she is doing. Does she ever play with his "boy toys"? Like trucks and action figures?
    ajjc775

Answer by ajjc775 at 6:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I don't see anything inherently wrong with children showing interest in opposite gender things. But then again, I'm extremely liberal. :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 7:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Thanks for all the heads up. I don't have a problem with it, more than other members of the family do. He is about to start pre-school, so I think being around other boys will show him other aspects of playing. He does love his twin sister, so it only makes sense that he would play with her the way he does. Thanks all. I knew he couldn't be the only little boy that liked playing with Barbie. Besides, maybe he just likes the tall, thin blondes??? hehehe
    Teens-n-Twins

Answer by Teens-n-Twins at 7:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I think it's fine... I don't have barbies with my daughter but my son sometimes plays baby dolls with his sister...

When my hubby is home I encourage my son to help Daddy, because that's how he is gonna learn to be a man... I also teach him (and help him do this) that boys hold the door for ladies and adults, let girls go first, and take care of girls...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• It is totally normal, he is just close to her and wants to do what she does. My son wants his toe nails painted because mine are and he wants to wear a headband when I do, he is simply immitating what he sees. And even if it continues does it really matter...I will still love my son even if he still wants to wear high heels
    cougarkristi

Answer by cougarkristi at 9:07 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Children like to imitate and explore... as long as he has support at home... along with guidance and patience... he will eventually learn the difference between male and female behaviors... lol I don't think that him playing with dolls is a strange thing... I think kids adapt to their surroundings and if he has a sister.. it's only natural that he plays with dolls :)
    princessnorm

Answer by princessnorm at 10:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2008