Who called me...

telemarketers etc. Ugh! So irritating. We get them at work but I found this website that you can plug the number in and see what others have said about who it is, what they want etc. I love it! http://whocalled.us/

(1)The three little words are: 'Hold On, Please...'

Saying this, while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that boiler room sales would grind to a halt.

Then when you eventually hear the phone company's 'beep-beep-beep' tone, you know it's time to go back and hang up your handset, which has efficiently completed its task.

These three little words will help eliminate telephone soliciting.

BeckySpicySauce

Asked by BeckySpicySauce at 4:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• continued..
    (2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end?
    This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone. This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a 'real' sales person to call back and get someone at home.

What you can do after answering, if you notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times, as quickly as possible This confuses the machine that dialed the call and it kicks your number out of their system. Gosh, what a shame not to have your name in their system any longer !!!
    BeckySpicySauce

Answer by BeckySpicySauce at 4:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• continued..

(3) Junk Mail Help:
    When you get 'ads' enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these 'ads' with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away.

When you get those 'pre-approved' letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope.

Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 41 cents postage 'IF' and when they receive them back.

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes.
    BeckySpicySauce

• Another good way to stop it is to get on the Do Not Call list. If that doesn't work, blow a whistle in the speaker part of the phone. After the first couple of times, they won't call back, trust me.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• haha if i know its a telemarketer calling-bc of the phone number on the caller id or whatever i answer the phone in spanish. then i just keep repeating that i dont understand in spanish. lol. eventually they hang up. its really funny. if they start talking to me in spanish i hang up. i cant really speak spanish all i really know is hello, please, thank you, whats up, and i dont understand english. lol
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Whenever we get a telemarketer , i let them read their 5 paragraphs of bull**** to me and then ask them to repeat what they said at the begininng and so on an so forth. Then by the end of the call you just have to say no thank you, but thanks anyways and that irritates them, lol you should hear their tone of voice.
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 5:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The do-not- all list works WONDERS!!! We have our names on it and we NEVER get telemarketers or junk mail any more. Awesome ideas though to the poster of this question.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 5:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• these are awesome tips! i'll keep them in mind
    aml8808

Answer by aml8808 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• well we've added our work numbers on the do not call list and we still get them calls 6 or more times a day. it's driving me nuts at work. we've reported them on the do not call registry and told them to take our number off and told them we've reported them and they still call. today was fun cuz they ask for my boss and i put him on hold, it rings back to me, i say oh he'll be right with you. did that about four times and he hung it. it was a little entertainment for me. lol!
    BeckySpicySauce

Answer by BeckySpicySauce at 5:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have my ringer set on 2 rings then the answering machine picks up. I also have caller Id. If I know who is calling I pick up if not it goes to the answering machine. From there I just delete the messages. Every one who calls me knows I screen my calls so they yell into it "It's me hurry up pick up the phone" then they stall a little till i get to the phone. It works. Eventually telamarketers stop calling when they get a machine.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• That's good to know about the # button.
    My friends and family know to start talking immediately when they call. If I say hello and someone doesn't respond immediately I hang up. She who hesitates (or who repeats hello hello) gets a sales pitch. Also those calls that say this isn't a sales call we are taking a poll, I politely decline- why should I spend my time on their poll.

Answer by Bmat at 5:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009