Mother as marriage counselor...weird???

Recently my husband has been suggesting we use my mother as a kind of marriage counselor... it started about a month ago.

My husband works for my parents in our family business and didn't seem to really be taking it as seriously as I felt he needed to, he would be getting there late and generally just fucking up and stressing me out. I talked to him for weeks about him needing to take things more seriously, about his time management, ect and his behavior didn't change an ounce, so I talked to my mother about it and we both decided that it would be easier for all involved if he was....re-assigned.

Richie (husband) didn't like that and requested that we have a sit down with my mama so we could resolve some things...it actually worked really well, I was able to get some things off my chest and he has been MUCH more responsible. The thing is, ever since then anytime we have an issue..he runs to my mama and requests that we all sit down and hash it out. I didn't plan on my mama being our go to marriage counselor...don't get me wrong my mother has wonderful advice and I go to her all the time but I think it's a little odd that HE goes to her, I mean he has his own mama lol..

Is it weird or am I the one being weird?

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 11:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2012 in Relationships

• But, uh your momma is better than his momma. LOL. Try not to worry about it too much, it is your mother who has to say when it is too much, but if she's good at it and he will talk to her, so be it. Do you have any idea how many husbands don't even speak to their MIL, let alone discuss things with her. All things being what they are, wouldn't you rather he have a good line of communication with YOUR mother than with your next door neighbor or one of you employees, or chatting online with some woman who "understands" him. Go ahead and share your momma, don't act like you are 5-yrs-old :)
    jdjamm

Answer by jdjamm at 2:20 PM on Mar. 25, 2012

• 1. I don't have my mom (she died in 1999) so I have to say you are BLESSED to have her, and she sounds awesome.
    2. You are BLESSED he and she get along. SO many in-laws do not.
    3. I don't blame you for feeling this way! Juts draw a line- yes we can talk about a,b,and c, with other people but these___ things no, sorry hun, not happening and this is why.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2012

• I thinks its fine, maybe he feels more confortable talking to your mom than his. My husband has a better relationship with my mom than his and can talk to her about anything. Some people just feel more confortable talking to people that are not their own family.
    jessi1414

Answer by jessi1414 at 11:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2012

• If he feels comfortable having a mediator and as long as your mom isn't taking sides then it should be okay. I do understand how it makes you feel uncomfortable. But you need to look at what your relationship is gaining from this. good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:53 AM on Mar. 24, 2012

• least they get along...

smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 24, 2012

• I would say that is TOO much family involvement I would never do that.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 24, 2012