How do you afford daycare for multiple children?

My DH and I both work full time, and we have one son. We pay $30/day for an in-home daycare. We want to have another child, but have no idea how to afford it. And no, we don't have any family members who can watch him/them for free.

StarrMom2Xander

Asked by StarrMom2Xander at 4:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• We have twins. In home daycare was the least expensive option until they turned three. After three, the prices drop, and when they hit Kindergarten, you are only paying for ahlf day. Some schools even offer on-site child care. i am paying $980/month for the twins daycare right now. They are in Kindergarten.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Well, there is actually only 1 answer: if you cant afford it, then dont have another child.

sorry. but thats how it is.

or you try to find a really cheap daycare. but i wouldnt expect any trained professional teachers then :-/
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Have you considered being a WAHM?
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• We pay so much and hate it! I want a 3rd, and have to figure out how I can work from home first. Good luck!
    jenlamarr

Answer by jenlamarr at 5:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Oh and I forgot to add, sometimes they give 10% off per second child if you ask.
    Trixiebelle2

Answer by Trixiebelle2 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have 5 kids now. I stopped working after the 3rd one, because we were paying more for daycare than rent at that time. Why work to pay for daycare? I have NEVER regretted it! I LOVE being an at-home mom! (My 4 year old told me I can not go back to work ever. When I asked her, "what about when you start school, can I work while you are at school?" She cried and said, "No! Then you won't be the same person!" What a classic!)
    5_girlz

Answer by 5_girlz at 5:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• WE PAY $300 A WEEK FOR THE 2 BOYS TO BE IN DAYCARE WHICH IS 1200-1500 A MO DEPENDING ON MANY WEEKS ARE IN THE MONTH. ON TOP OF THAT MY KIDS DAYCARE OFFERS SOCCER ONCES A WEEK AND GYMBUS ONCE A WEEK SO THERE ARE ADDED EXPENSES.. BUT AS LONG AS YOU BOTH HAVE GOOD PAYING JOBS IT SOULD NOT BE A HUGE PROBLEM..i KNOW SOMETIMES IT IS NOT WORTH THE COST TO PUT A KID IN DAY CARE AND WORK SINCE YOUR WHOLE CHECK WOULD PAY FOR DAYCARE SO IN THAT CASE IT WOULD BE BETTER TO STAY HOME AND WORK LIKE RUN A DAYCARE OUT OF YOUR HOME OR WORK NIGHTS WHEN HUBBY IS HOME
    3boyz1princess

Answer by 3boyz1princess at 7:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Work at a daycare!! I work at HIGHLY accredited daycare and I get 1/2 off both my boys since I work there. Not only do I get out of the house and not couped up all day but I also get to check on my kids whenever I want...I still bring home $400-450 every two weeks. It may not seem like alot but it helps!

TwoBoysToLove

Answer by TwoBoysToLove at 8:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I pay over $1050 /mo for 2 kids. When they were both under three I was paying $1600.
    I would love to have more kids but there is no way we could afford or justify the cost.
    Maybe we will change our mind and have another one, once I am working from home.

You should really have a plan to either earn at home or be able to afford daycare. The money issue isn't going to disappear.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2009