i have a nose picker....

my 20 month old daughter picks her nose. this really just started about three weeks ago. and at first i let it go and just kinda told her 'yucky', i know its normal at this age for toddlers to explore their bodies. but shes stuck on one nostril, and picks it so much now that shes caused it to bleed once, and its continued to be red and irritated cause she wont stop. now she picks it and goes 'oww' my husband and i take her hand away now and tell her 'no, hurt. thats owies' is there something i can do to stop this before it really gets out of hand? or am i worried for nothing and she'll stop on her own?

TARA26

Asked by TARA26 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmm, that's a toughie, really. I know I picked my nose as a kid. I eventually stopped on my own, and now it absolutely makes me GAG when I even think about picking my nose, or when I see anyone picking theirs. Blahhh, it's like a phobia, talking about it now makes me want to puke.

But I went to school with a guy that chronically picked his nose all the way up through high school. It was tough for me to see, ick. I think you should just watch and see how it goes, and keep telling her that it's inappropriate and show her how to blow her nose and make it feel better that way.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• When she is picking her nose offer her a Kleenex and teach her how to blow her nose.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 5:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• does she have allergies. My son started around that time, he has allergies and once we found the correct medicne to put him on he stopped.

My daughter just won't quit tho so who knows. It must be a stage.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2009