Does anyone else agree?

That President Obama doesnt need to close GITMO just change how things are ran?I feel that it is ran wrong but we still need it.Just change the policies.Why move them somewhere else when he can just run it there the way he sees fit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree that the running of Gitmo needs to be changed. I do not think the USA wants them in our prison systems and our local state jails. We are not wanting to care for the very people that want us blown off the face of the earth. What Obama is thinking is not seen by many people. Even people in Washington.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Because he doesn't AGREE that THESE people should have been detained in the first place! He's a bleeding heart liberal, and thinks even those who want to tear down America, and kill innocent "infidels" should be allowed to "express themselves."

Lest we not forget WHERE Obama grew up...on the streets of Indonesia...attending Madrassas!!!
    Anonymous

• I just want to know the cost difference between keeping Gitmo with improved oversight vs. transferring them to regular prisons. If they go to a regular one (they're considering Pennsylvania as one), they can't just throw them in with the regular inmates, they'd be dead within a day. How much do we pay to keep them where they are vs what we'd pay to have them in complete isolation (and pay for the inevitable suits over inhumane treatment because they are isolated) for their own safety?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I do not think GITMO should be closed immediately. His advisors, except a few extreme left, are telling him NOT to close it. He is trying to make a name for himself and making a hasty move. If people actually do the research on GITMO they will see that it is NOT a torture chamber of unconvicted criminals. To date about 500 people have been let go. Under Bush, who was slowly and carefully trying to close this facilty, about 50 detainees were let go. Unfortunately, some terrorists that DO have authority to return to their countries, CANNOT leave. They are a threat to their native countries and will be executed upon arrival.

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 5:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• This is a delicate issue. I do not think that Obama's plan to bring terrorists here, to US soil, and create a "new legal system" for them is the right thing to do. very hasty move. I think holding these terrorists in our prisons will just cause more conflict, violence within prisons, and negative morale among US citizens. How will it look on the News when you see a terrorist being transferred to and from jail for a special trial? not what I want to see in the middle of hard economic times.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 5:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Didn't he already close it? I'm getting here late so I'm sure I've missed what he is going to do with all of the prisoners, I read somewhere that one of them is suing?
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It is suppose to be closed with in a year. I say keep them there and change the way things are ran. He needs to wake up change his siggy on that piece of paper. It would be one of the worst mistakes he ever made. IMO
    lucandpepsmom

Answer by lucandpepsmom at 5:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My gawd they are just people..not the big bad wolf...send them back to where they came from
    Pepperlynns

Answer by Pepperlynns at 5:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• "send them back to where they came from "
    Can't - a lot of them, their countries of origin refuse to let them back in.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

What if they are the big bad wolf?Surely I am not the only one who doesnt want to get attacked again?!Arent the arrested for a reason?Maybe they should be treated better but why are they there to begin with?
    Anonymous