Is anyone else bothered by this?

The KY his and hers commercials?My 12 yr old daughter,my 4 yr old son and I were watching TV the other night and it came on and my daughter asked me what it was for.I mean I am all for teaching kids about sex but that is a little much IMO for a 12 yr old.Am I wrong?I had no clue what to say except its for married people.

tomsbrandi

Asked by tomsbrandi at 5:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• That ticks me off....I try very hard to censor what my kids watch.

The other day we were watching Andy Griffith and one of those came on during dinner......ON THE TV LAND channel!

So even if the show you are watching is ok, you have to be careful of the commercials.....ticks me off bad.

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i think its too much bc it does get the older kids to start asking questions that maybe some of us arent ready to answer. however, if your daughter is 12 its getting about that time. i learned about sex in the 3rd grade-from other kids at school. im 21 now. im not saying that you should be teaching your daughter about it already bc thats your choice as a mother. but its getting to be about that time-just wanted to put that thought out there. :D
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Oh no I taught her about sex already but we havent got into lubes and such.Not quite sure that is something I am ready to teach her at 12.Yeah I already had that talk a few years ago.You have to now a days.I see that as cool just not the other stuff.I feel my kids should be focused on other things at this point in their life.

I know mom2twobabes-I censor the crap outta TV but when the stuff comes on TV Land what else can you do except throw away the TV period?We were watching regular prime time but still keep that for the after midnight crowd!
    tomsbrandi

Answer by tomsbrandi at 5:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Well, we have HD channels and on some of those . . they show nudity and all kinds of crazy stuff. But we have a finished basement so that will be the adult tv, oh and our bedroom, of course. The regular living room will have to have parental controls.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Those commercials bother me, but I actually have a channel that advertises for a sex toy website! I can't remember which channel it is now, cause we stopped watching it after I saw it, but we were watching a show that my kids wanted to watch (some kind of science show, I think), and all of sudden here's this commercial talking about get 50% off sex toys by entering the code "sexy" on their website and rattling off the web address. My kids turn around asking me what sex toys are and what sexy means. It drives me nuts the things they put on TV anymore, and not even in a way that you can logically expect and therefore censor it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• That is why I LOVE my dish DVR and TiVo! I record what the kids watch on a regular basis - but we fast forward thru the commercials. I don't think we have watched "live" tv in almost a year!
    Our usual routine is to watch Monday's on Tuesday, while new shows are recording - Best thing we ever invested in!
    Anonymous

• WTF?! See the previous question and answers on if people shelter their kids too much nowadays! lol. I really think that since the commercial doesn't actually use any words like sex, or show people naked that its staying pretty appropriate. And, in the commercials i've seen the couples have been married (and had kids). I think that sex is a healthy part of an adult relationship and isn't a shameful thing to teach kids about (especially if they are old enough to ask questions ).
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• That is not sheltering your kids b/c you dont want to teach them anout sex lubes and toys at a young age.Learning about sex is one thing but come on!
    Anonymous