Do you think a lot of parents shelter their kids

too much? I know there a lot of things to worry about but...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oi, most definitely. I see it mostly with the stuff on TV. We watched Looney Tunes where people smoked and got shot and blown up and went to war and hunted animals and each other...and we all turned out okay. But now apparently everything has to be cushy and cute and fluffy and wonderful. I wonder what future generations are going to be like O.o
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• IMO, there is no such thing as sheltering your kids too much in today's world! Kids are growing up way too fast with too much knowledge about adult things! We have to send them out to the wolves soon enough, I'm not gonna do it before I need to!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I shelter my kids a good bit. They will have plenty of time to get to the bad stuff.
    I feel like its my job to shelter them, they are young, impressionable, and cant predict consequences yet.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Cait, I'm not talking about that kind of stuff! I agree with you completely on that (my kids watch Looney Tunes). The stuff I'm talking about is sex, violence, drugs, etc.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Caitxrawks: I disagree that we ALL turned out allright. I have seen quite a few wack jobs out there.

I am not saying Looney Toons did it to them. But just the "World" in general.
    Anonymous

• well, what I'm kinda referring too is constantly having an eye on them even when you're out in the yard kids that are near school age or in school.
    Anonymous

• my son is 5.5 and I always go outside with him when he plays.

There is a convicted sex offender in my neighborhood and I dont dare leave him alone!

And if you check your local sex offender registry you may be shocked to see just how many are around you.....

in our small city there are about 20. SCAREY!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• "I disagree that we ALL turned out allright. I have seen quite a few wack jobs out there."

Lol, good point, anon, good point!

Watch the news and you will know there is no such thing as being too careful about watching them when they are out!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I know, I know :D I just had to get that out there.

I grew up with a lot of overprotected kids. Some turned out alright, some turned out kind of...odd. I dunno, I can't describe it. They weren't ready to face the world once the time came. I think sometimes it's difficult to find a comfortable balance. If you're TOO overprotective, it hinders your child's independence and development. If you don't care enough, they might be put in harm's way.

My daughter is too young for me to speak from personal experience just yet =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I feel like I have a unique perspective on this....

My aunt and her family are menonite. They live (in a way) like Amish. But not quite as stricked.
    When we saw them as children they thought we were "of the devil" because we wore shorts and care bear t-shirts and watched tv while sitting in air conditioned rooms. lol

When her children grew up, they rebelled and went CRAZY!!! Like lots of drugs, anorexia, pregnant ect.

My dh family was the opposite, they were an ANYTHING goes type of family, my MIL even bought my dh beer to drink with him. THEN they grew up and all went CRAZY!!! drugs, lots of sex, mental illness (my dh is surprizingly normal)

So to me....its best to stay in the "middle of the road" so to speak.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2009