Help! Have you ever got this while being pregnant? If so, how did you get it?

I just got back from the doctor and she told me that I have some kind of bacteria in my vagina and that they will have to give me antibiotics before I give birth so the baby does not get it... She said its like strep throats same bacteria or something. 20 to 35% percent of women have this when they give birth? Has anyone ever got this and How did I get this? She didn't really answer my questions.. She seemed to beat around the bush when I was asking questions... 35 weeks

lisacieslak

Asked by lisacieslak at 5:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i have it and she said every one has it but ours is something that needs to b treated now and when we have the baby she said not to worry about it the baby will b fine
    ~Heidi~
    heidicummins03

Answer by heidicummins03 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i had it. i dont know anything else about it but its pretty common did she say the name of it bc i was just thinkin about this the other day and couldnt remember what it was
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• DON'T WORRY! It's called Group B Strep. It's NOT like strep throat. PLEASE get the antibiotics, it will save your baby's life. As long as you get the antibiotics, you and your baby will be perfectly fine. You don't get sick with GBS, the name is quite misleading. I'm not quite sure where it comes from.

Just make completely sure that they give you the antibiotics. My SIL's best friend lost her baby because they didn't even DO the damn GBS test on her. She gave birth to a healthy baby boy, but because they didn't give her the test (she delivered early), they didn't know she had GBS, so they didn't give her the antibiotics. It was horrible, he died within 12 hours of birth. He would have lived and been completely healthy had she gotten the GBS test and antibiotics during labor. *sigh*
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i had it with my 1st and they told me that once you get it you can't get rid of it. but you know what - i didn't have it with my 2nd one... they beat around the bush with me too. i don't think they really know much about it either.
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 5:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Strep B. It's very common and will not hurt your baby as long as you get the antibiotics before delivery. Some women just carry it. I have two healthy daughters that prove it is no reason for alarm.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I got to be honest with you, I'm still scared.... What if I go fast with this pregnancy and there is no time to give me the antibiotics??? Caitxrawks that kinda scares me.
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 5:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Do some research on group b strep. Many women forego antibiotics. Not only are there natural remedies to treat it but there is a lot of information about it that you may find useful. That was very rude and insensitive of your doctor to ignore your questions and scare you like that.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 5:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• will do thank you ladies
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 5:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Just read up on it... I feel better
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 5:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009