Toddler always poking his belly button???

My son has no soothing items (paci, blanket, animal etc) but he sleeps with his fingers in his belly button!! he's 20 months and i have to either keep him in a onesie w/ a high neck shirt over it or put a band-aid over his button to keep his fingers out. it's irritated and raw looking. anyone have any ideas as to how to keep his fingers out?? it's not some 'cute i found my button' thing, it's been on going for the past 8 months. he even unzips his footie pjs or goes down the neck of his onesie to get at it or picks at it thru his shrits..... :/ help please!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• all i can suggest is to do what you are already doing
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If the bandaid isn't irritating his skin, I'd say stay with the bandaid. It may take a very long time for him to get out of the habit. If he needs a lovey of some kind, maybe you can encourage one. Maybe find a soft toy that has an indentation like his belly button has. or a teddy or doll-kind-of-toy that has a belly button that he could hold- as a transition item. But look in the toy stores, there must be something that he can feel that seems like a belly button- some stuffed animal maybe.

Answer by Bmat at 5:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• There is a girl at our daycare who pulls hers out to play with it. Hers is getting irritated to.

Sounds like a hard habit to break, sorry I dont have any ideas.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I used to do this as a child - picked on my belly button until it was raw.
    Raven220

Answer by Raven220 at 5:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• my cousin pinched hers when she was little... I don't think it ever got raw... My sister rubbed/played with whoevers ear who was holding her.... My son has a nuk and an elephant he "has" to have with him.
    I would discuss with your doc if the bandaid is on too much it could be bad for it too with moisture and yuckies getting in there? He's a little old to put those mitten things on his hands and he would just take them off but I suppose you could sew them on the ends of his pjs for bedtime at least?
    AligirlP

Answer by AligirlP at 6:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i dont think he'd do well w/ mittens sewn on the ends of his pjs....he hates mittens to go outside! it's not that we didnt want him to have a 'lovey' item, he just never wnated any of them. believe me, it'd be easier if he did!! he's got a Pooh bear and elmo and a blanket in the crib w/ him but he doesnt seem to care about them, just his button!!
    as for the band-aid, every day, we wash out his button and put a new one on. so it's not like we keep one on there and it gets gross :)
    tylersmommy0508

Answer by tylersmommy0508 at 6:18 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Sorry I wasn't suggesting you weren't taking care of the bandaids or changing or that you were depriving him of loveys. But I would discuss with your doc anyway maybe they have an idea? Little stinkers get something in their heads and I think maybe they just need to grow out of it??? not very much help I know. Maybe it will grow a callous and not get raw anymore?
    AligirlP

Answer by AligirlP at 1:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• ali-i was joking around in my response, not trying to be defensive! i just think it's so odd that he's OBSESSED w/ it. thanks for yourhelp though! guess it's back to the doc we go.
    tylersmommy0508

Answer by tylersmommy0508 at 4:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• oh good. :) Its hard to read people in writing isn't it? I can't imagine playing with my belly button. I hate when anyone even gets near it. My husband thinks I'm a freak - but it literally makes me sick when he brushes a hand over it.
    Hey think of it this way... at least you don't have to worry about losing his lovey since its attached! I made the mistake of not bringing a nuk to my moms once. HAHAHA never again!
    Good luck!
    AligirlP

Answer by AligirlP at 10:40 AM on Jan. 26, 2009

• You are not alone. My daughter is 3 years old and she does everything to touch her belly. Tried the bandages, masking tape but he takes them off. Last night i sew her pajamas so she couldn't took them down. She started doing at 6 months. whenever i breastfed her she would touch my belly. She came up to the point of hurting me all the time and not letting me sleep, so I didn't let her do it anymore. She then began touching hers, but add a pacifier. When she sucks her pacifier she starts touching her belly. It's getting ugly. I use turtle neck shirts, tights, leotards, pants with belts. She is running her cloths and more important her belly button. Just keep trying everything. I'm going to try the doll

pueblomio

Answer by pueblomio at 3:51 AM on Mar. 10, 2009