Help me explain to DD(6) why segregation is not okay.

DD the day after the election was asking me in the car ride why the "brown kids" couldn't go to school with the "brown teachers" and the "white kids" go to a different school. I have never taught her differences in skin color...ever ever. I was shocked, and told her it was important for us all to be friends no matter what we looked like on the outside. I feel like I should address this issue again.

I feel like I should add that one of her best friends in school that she always plays with is African American, but she goes to a school that is predominantly Hispanic and does not have any Hispanic friends.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Kids are going to notice differences. Skin color, height, weight, eye color, etc etc all make a person unique. I don't think she's thinking in such a broad term as segregation. Its normal at that age to want to group like people together, it doesn't make it wrong - it's just where she is in her way of thinking right now. I would tell her its how a person is unique that makes them special, and we needs lots of special people around us.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I would talk to her about how there are many different skin colors.  What matters is how kind a person is on the inside. I like ginger0104 answer.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 5:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• There is a great documentary you could pick up at your library, I can't remember what it is called. It is about a teacher "segregating" her class by the color of her students' eyes. On day 1 the brown eyed students where the superior students, and on day 2 the blue eyed students were superior. If I remember correctly the kids are right around your dd's age. It shows how badly it hurts the children to be separated.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 5:54 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Children see differences, they hear things that we may not think that they do.. they hear others talke and as we all know there is alot of racial hate out there...
    My dh and I have a low tolerance for racial talk "Period"... it's not easy raising our children in this time when now we have a "African American First Family"...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:14 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• cont...
    Be open and honest with your dd... "DO NOT" scold her for what she says, bc she is only repeating...ask her why she said what she said... explain to her that there is skin colour on the outside, but "NEVER" in the inside... that we are all the same...
    Also I would talk to her teacher and see if a lesson can be taught on the subject... of course with the new "Policital corrections" may have to have permisson from the school itself, but to explain to the children about "Segregation" in history...
    Our gs is 8 and he is the #1 fan of President Obama and if there is colour in the world, it's not on people as far as he is concerned, it's only in the minds eye of those who can't see...
    gmasboy

• I'd definately tell her the plain honest truth. She is old enough for that. I'd give her a little history lesson, tell her that it use to be that way, and tell her all the terrible things it resulted in. If she knows that it was a real thing in history it will help her to have empathy for the past, and see why we just don't do that anymore and why it is so much better to all live together.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 11:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I read a good illustration about segregation. It used an example of eye color. Maybe if yours and your daughters eyes are different colors you could explain to her using that. Maybe tell her that because your eyes are say blue and her eyes are brown you would have to go to different schools and be separated in other ways. Maybe she would understand it better that way. Hope this helps.
    boyslife

Answer by boyslife at 7:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My daughter came home from school on Martin L King Jr. day and said to me "mommy did you know that a long time again the colored kids weren't allowed to play with the white kids"? "Why were they so mean to everyone that was a different color". She is only 6 1/2yrs and in Kindergarten.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 26, 2009