a. What news stories have you heard lately about teachers and how has that influenced your opinion of teachers?

Jamie8788

Asked by Jamie8788 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I've gone through the entire list of teachers who were doing all types of crazy things and honestly it makes me mad. What the h***?? I am trying to become a teacher by the time my dream finally comes true there are gonna be so many issues. I wanted to become a teacher to inspire and help kids... now idk how it's going to be like. i had huge plans of decorating my room and all these fun things... idk what teaching is going to be like when I start, but it won't be like how it was when I was a student in elem. school =/
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 6:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• and THAT is just ONE side of how I feel. What about these poor kids... how are they going to turn out?? I have a child on the way I don't want to worry that someone my child trusts and who is supposed to offer guidance is going to in some way hurt my child. Ugh... I'm so disgusted over this entire topic =/
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 6:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• In my experience...I have four children three of which are in school. Oldest will be in 7th grade next year, I truly believe that there are some teachers who teach to make a difference. But I feel that the majority of teachers now of days are all about themselves. I could go on and on but my fingers hurt from typing. I feel like we as parents could do an evaluation of the teacher and fill out a questionaire at the end of each year and if the majority of parents didn't think the teacher was qualified that she would get fired. That's just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• It is like any other profession: there are good ones and not so good ones to really really bad ones. I have had the pleasure of working with wonderful teachers and also the distinct displeasure of working with some who were just flat out crazy. But they are constricted to doing what the administration says they need to do. I have seen first hand how a teacher is limited by what is dictated to them to do - good or bad. So when looking at my child's education I look at the school as a whole, try to have a good relationship and good communication with my son's teachers, and stay involved. Good ones and not so good ones are bound to come along. But that is my perception, it may not be what is reality. Unless a teacher was flat out abusive then I will remain polite.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have 4 kids ranging in age from 14 to 6. We have had our share of horrible teachers, but there are some really great teachers out there too! My dd's 1st grade teacher this year is awesome. For 2 years I've questioned her reading readiness and asked the teachers over and over how she was doing. I was assured she was fine even though what I saw at home said otherwise. Anyway, she's at another school this year and during conferences in Oct the teacher expressed concern that she was testing only at a preschool level in reading and math. So now we're working on an IEP for her. But the poor thing has been struggling and I've tired to help, but I had no resources until now. I was so relieved. Some teachers are just there for a paycheck (then get another job- sheesh) but many are really concerned about their students and will do everything they can to help them.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Another story. My eldest daughter was in middle school last year at the same school I had problems w/ my youngest. The teachers were awful except for the science teacher. The principal was even worse. Anyway, she got an F in English and she still graduated from middle school and no summer school was recommended! Wth? That was weird to me. She's getting an A in English this year and for her 1st semester in high school she got a 3.0. I think sometimes it has a lot to do with the school administration. Crap runs downhill they say. If the principal is a jerk and the teachers are having problems and not getting the support they need, then the students will suffer. That's just my experience though.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• But when you have that kind of experience and then add to that the weird stories about the things teachers around the country are doing, it kind of makes you wonder about teachers in general. I think it makes you a little cautious when you start the school year with a new teacher. Until you get to know them at least.

anime_mom619

• The only thing I've heard about teachers is that they are being CUT. pay cuts, layoffs, hiring freezes, etc. Funding to schools systems is constantly being short-changed.

it is a shame. then you wonder why teachers suck or are just out for themselves.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 7:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• How does hearing about no-account parents like Casey Anthony make you feel about parents in general? You cannot generalize about a huge group of people by the misdeeds of a tiny minority. I've worked in the profession for 18 years and the vast majority of teachers I've encountered have been caring, hard-working, morally-upright people who give generously of their time and energy to help kids succeed. I've encountered a few bad apples in my years in education, and I feel that we should be ruthless in weeding out those types, but they are, thankfully, rare...
    StephanieLtd

Answer by StephanieLtd at 8:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2009