i need some help with this....the dreaded C word...

Ugh the other day I saw a cockroach in our kitchen...haven't seen any other ones, but I've heard if you see one there are 981307580398517038957030945237905723085703 hiding. What can I do so I don't see anymore? Any particular brands or things that actually work?? I really hate roaches, I guess it's karma biting me in butt for making fun of my friends who had roaches....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We tried bombing when we lived in a condo, but these days I'd say just call an exterminator.

Answer by Bmat at 6:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I would put down boric acid along the counter in the cracks and crevices. They eat it and then it makes them thirsty, they want to pass gas and they can't so they explode internally. It should work.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i would hire someone cause those darn things love to get into anything like a puter, wii which it help to hatch there babies, they love messes and if you have a light off at night turn it on and you will find them cause they like the dark you can't really kill them by smashing them cause they can still live which stucks but the do wreak electic things ...
    Anonymous

• I agree with coala, try boric acid first .it's not as expensive as having the bug man come over and they make types that you can apply like caulk, and it got rid of our problem pretty fast. but if it doesn't work, definitely call the exterminator
    sophiebethmom

Answer by sophiebethmom at 10:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• put boric acid under your small kitch appliances and electronics and call an exterminator asap. Cockroaches cause asthma and many other things. exterminators are far cheaper in the long run.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 7:58 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• exterminator for the long kill, but make sure there are no food particles anywhere... i had to live in missouri for 3 months. .. and OMG culture shock... i am from the pacific northwest, and here.. i've only had maybe four sugar ants in my home... just imagine living in a home with cockroachs, rats, mice, and crickets... ICK.. i was living in my mother in laws home..... honestly it was one of the conditions of my divorce... unsanitary treatment... i couldnt believe it... sorry to ramble, back to you... there are some websites that will help... there is also a foam spray you can buy that will fill in any small cracks in your home, at least coming into your home.. you know, under the sinks, etc...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:52 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• I am starting to see a few in my house as well. They started outside and finally worked their way in. I assume the vacant house next door could be infested and they didn't have food so they migrated? Anywho, the bug sprays and little "bait" trap things work in the short term and seem to keep them at bay...so do that if you can't afford an exterminator right now and save up to hire one. I will totally try that boric acid though. Although, I will add that I have a friend who use to have roaches really bad and tried everything, included sprays, bombs, baits, and the exterminator and none of it worked. She finally bought the caulk stuff mentioned previously and put it down once a month and they finally went away within a couple of months...but keep doing it for a year just to be sure. I'm rambling... good luck!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Okay, those little bits of evil can survive for weeks without food. HOWEVER...they can't survive more than 7 days without fluids! Combat has a new liquid bait system that I have used several times! I use boric acid at the same time. Get the liquid baits and put them behind/beside your fridge, stove, any appliance that is warm in your kitchen. Put one under the sink. Put one on the counter towards the back and place something in front of it to hide it from site.

Make sure that your sink and counters are clean and DRY every night so that the only liquid they have available to them in the kitchen is the bait. You might also think about putting one behind your toilets and under your bathroom sinks.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 25, 2009