My 5 year old has night terrors.

My five year old still wakes up crying 3-6 times a night. If I don't get up immediatly, she will wonder around the house screaming waking every one else up. I have mentioned it to the pediatrician, but they don't seemed concerned. I am EXHAUSTED!!! Does anyone have advise?

cinnamon175

Asked by cinnamon175 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you ever asked her what scares her? That would be the first place to start. And then explaining to her that they are only dreams and dreams can't harm her.

Another trick, that I did with my kids, is right after she falls asleep, whisper to her and tell her that she is safe now and nothing can harm her - sort of like sleep hypnosis. You may have to do this for a few nights but it should fix the "problem".
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 6:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I should add that she never remembers it in the morning. "Night Terrors" is the closest phrase for what is happening. She has no idea that she even does it!!!
    cinnamon175

Answer by cinnamon175 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yes this sounds like night terrors. Its upsetting for everyone. Your daughter probably doesnt remember and isnt "awake" during the episodes. Please check out this website.......you may find it helpful ~ http://www.nightterrors.org/
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Is she really awake when she is waking around and does she recognize you? My DD had these for awhile and I feel for you. It happened more when she had gotten overly tired. We would take her outside and for some reason that would jolt her out of it and at least she would act rational instead of acting like we were a monster or something. Then, we could comfort her and get her back to sleep. I would consider using a homeopathic remedy. You can google homeopathy and night terrors and read about it. You can get the homepathic remedies at a health food store. The remedy called chamomilla has been a godsend for "growing pains" at night with my DD.
    StephanieLtd

Answer by StephanieLtd at 10:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If they are truly night terrors(I am in no way saying that you are wrong so don't take that the wrong way.lol) then she will not remember them and if you wake her up(because she is still in a state of sleep) you can make it much worse for her especially if she is in another room other than where she went to sleep at.
    Cont...

butterfli4201

Answer by butterfli4201 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It is caused when the body and the mind conflict during the process of changing stages of sleep. She is not really "dreaming" about anything in specific that is scaring her(if I remember right that is what the book said) but her body and mind are "fighting" and that is what the yelling and movement is all about. My oldest had them for 2 years and still has them every so often, he would throw things scream and yell kick and fight. They were horrible but he never remembered them and the worst part of it all was that there was nothing that I could do to help him. My 2 year old has had a few but no where near as bad as his brother has.
    cont...
    butterfli4201

• Try getting her to get to sleep a little earlier and establish a firm bedtime routine and have her go to bed and RELAX for about 15-30 minutes before lights out to get her mind and body to know that it is time for sleep. I hope that they go away soon I know first hand how hard it is to have to watch. Good luck!!
    butterfli4201

• This used to happen to my son up until about the age of 5. It would only occur when he was overtired and you could actually set your watch to when it would happen - exactly one hour after falling asleep. He never had any recollection of it taking place and all we could do when it did happen was to try to lull him back to sleep and make sure he didn't harm himself. Scary for sure but most likely, your child willoutgrow it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:22 AM on Jan. 23, 2009