sciatic nerve?

ok so I'm 33 wks with my second and none of this happened with my first. I get horrible muscle spasms (charlie horses) in my thighs and calf (sorry if i spelled it wrong :) and for about 3 mths now my hip down to my foot on my left side will ache so bad i can barely sit or walk. my doctor said its all part of pregnancy and its probably just the baby pushing on my sciatic nerve, and there isnt anything i can do about it. i was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if there is anything you did to help ease the pain. I have tried laying down with my feet up, hot baths, muscle rub, forcing my husband to give me massage after massage, nothing has helped im getting kinda desperate...

mrs.cooley

Asked by mrs.cooley at 6:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It sounds like you have a pinched nerve.
    Anonymous

• Have u thought about going to a ciropractor(sp)
    Anonymous

• Yeah... it's probably sciatica. I've dealt with it my whole life.

Try getting the baby off the nerve --- off the spine. Get on all fours and relax your back... let your belly hang towards the floor... then arch your back the other way. Stretch your back every day as best you can --- might take a little imagination at this point lol... but any stretch will help some.

I'd HIGHLY recommend skipping the epi/spinal (to anyone really) during labor, but especially if you have these issues. It could be that your back is out of alignment & that it's a herniated or ruptured disc putting pressure on the nerves. If it's out of alignment... the risk of suffering permanent nerve damage from the needle is pretty good.

If you continue with problems after the birth... get an Xray & MRI to diagnose the problem.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My chiropractor worked on me before durning and after my deliveries...I still go for routine alignments....once that dang thing starts it seems to be a real booger from the on. Good luck and happy delivery
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Try doing yoga. It relaxes all of your body. I loved it. I would wake up in the middle of the night crying out in pain because of the charlie horses. I did yoga for pregant ladies. They also have DVD's.
    momtobe0707

Answer by momtobe0707 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009