How can I back off??

I asked a question regarding my 18 year old daughter. I call to remind her to go to school and to make sure she is okay when she does not come home. I feel if I let her be it's me not caring about her...

mommiedear

Asked by mommiedear at 6:26 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• i would keep calling her and checking on her .you should your her mom .you have to let her have some space but at the same time she is your child who you should still have some control over
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you let her be, it's you letting go, trusting her and lettiing her grow up.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i agree with britme. i know 18 is a tough age but like i said before when i was 18 i didnt know squat, and im glad my mom kept pushing me.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I'm 26 and my mom still texts me to ask if I'm ok if she hasn't heard from me! LOL! I think that as long as you aren't smothering her its a good thing. Just because she is 18 and "technically" and adult, that doesn't mean that you can't check on her. :)
    musikdoll

Answer by musikdoll at 6:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Let her know that she's got to do this on her own. Tell her you're doing it because you love her. Then follow through and let her make her own mistakes. You can't hover forever.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2009