Have you ever dealt with a rotten debt collector on the phone?

Apparently I have been sent to collections for debt I didn't even realize I owed. A women called me and from the minute I said "hello" she had an attitude and automatically assumed I was a dead beat. She said two notices had been sent and I told her that I had no received any notices and asked for another to be sent. She refused and said that wasn't her job. I ask her to fax it and she refused. She wanted payment over the phone and w/o a paper trail I refused!!!! I played it cool while on the phone but broke down like a baby once I hung up. I'm just wondering if who else has been bullied on the phone by a debt collector. I've never had such a horrible experience and I'm not sure there is anything I can do about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sounds fishy to me for sure. They should be happy to supply you with paperwork.

In a situation like that, they should offer to send you a payment agreement for you to sign & return with your first payment --- that way they've got your signature & can enforce the payments... and you know EXACTLY what you owe & for what.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i just dont answer my phone :]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yeah, it's happened to me. They are not supposed to harass you, and I think you can report them if they do. I wouldn't pay a dime without some sort of invoice, either. Did she say what company is after you? Call them directly, and have something mailed to you. If you don't dispute that you owe the money you can start paying back the minimal amount and request that no further collection calls be made to your home. Good Luck. I haven't had to go through this in a long time, but believe me I know how much it sucks.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 6:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• That sounds fishy to me. I had a friend who was a bill collector and she told me if you ask for a copy of the bill they have to send it to you. Its the law. Second they can only call between certain hours, they cannot put you down, harass you, threaten you etc. Anyway I make sure they know I understand what my rights are. I had one call the other day and mind you most of my debts are paid down so I was kinda shocked. They said it was for an account from 1987 LOL. I was like uhm I was in high school then and I have never even heard of the store youre talking about you MUST be mistaken can you send me the bill? The guy started laughing and said oh yeah I guess in 1987 you werent buying wedding rings? I said uhm no I wasnt even a senior in HS.

Answer by gemgem at 6:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have and I will work with them if they are professional on the phone If they get an attitude and be rude I tell them to get screwed and have a nice day and hang up the phone.
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• That sounds strange. Oh, and just because some people can't pay their bills and get debt collector calls does not make them a dead beat.
    Anonymous

• You don't even have to talk to these people if you don't want to. The next time you answer the phone and notice the number might be a credit... answer the phone like this, "Sue Anderson speaking, Anderson Farm, How may I help you"... they will think they have the wrong number and either ask for that person or hang up. If they ask, say, "I am sorry, she must have had this number before me, but this is my number now and it is a business number, so please do not call back"....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I tell them that if they are going to use that tone of voice or speak to me disrespectfully they will not get anything they want. That I owe a lot of people and they are no more special than the next one. If they are rude to me....it will only ensure that they are paid last and since I owe a LOT of people that could be years. When they tell me they are going to take me to court I laugh. I tell them I own nothing so, "Good Luck with that" . When they speak to me like a child I speak to them like a child. It's all about mutual respect. AND that's what good old caller ID is for. If it is UNKNOWN or UNAVAILABLE I NEVER answer.
    Mimi2mommy

Answer by Mimi2mommy at 1:20 AM on Jan. 25, 2009