school language troubles

I live in a mostly spanish town, and even though i am half spanish I do not speak the language- and neither do my kids- the school they go to is a public pre-k/k and is supposed to be english speaking (all the kids that only know spanish are in a special class to teach them english) so is it wrong for me to get upsetthat on several occasions i have walked in to the class room to hear the teachers reading stories in spanish talking to kids in spanish and teaching in spanish? I could kind of understand if they were doing both like saying triangle in english and in spanish but my kids swear that im saying triangle wrong when i say it in english because they were taught it in spanish. Also I think that if all the kids can understand english then thats what the teachers should be speaking especially since the 3 non spanish speaking kids that are in the class are being left out. its not fair to them- any helpful ideas are welcome

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would bring this to the attention of the principal and if that doesnt work then the school board
    its not fair that the english speaking kids cant understand the story or what is being taught they shouldnt have to miss out. there is already a class for spanish speaking children.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• yeah i cant even do that because she is spanish and does some of her anouncements in spanish i was thinking of going to the board of ed but i can never get in contact with them and im actually getting to the point where i want to take them out but i dont want to keep them out of school
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009