diarreah - getting over stomach bug

my son is 14 months and he is getting over a mild stomach bug - vomitted 2x 2 days ago, and have been feeding him rice, BRAT since then and some pediatlyte on day 1. now he has diarreah and farting a lot! is that normal towards the end of a stomach bug? what do i give him? he's already been on brat. why is even getting diarreah? dr. office closed, so i'll call in the morning, but any advice would be much appreciated. TIA.

shinbi

Asked by shinbi at 6:37 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i went and kinda am still going through this i called the doc office and talked to the advice nurse. no use in goin to the doc's cuz they can't really do anything about it. if he's stopped vomiting it's because it's passed his stomach and intestines and now he's just getting it over with. just push the fluids, water, pedialite, gatorade, ect. i get the powdered gatorade and put just enough in the water to flaor it since my ds wont' drink straight water. as long as he doesn't have a high fever, just let it finish it's course. also, giving him meds like tylonal won't really work. i asked about that too. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:48 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It could be that the vomiting disrupted the normal balance of good bacteria in his stomach. You can try giving him a probiotic or just feed him some YoBaby yogurt to reset things. Too much sugar can cause diarrhea, too. If you've been giving him juice or gatorade, that can cause diarrhea. Pedialyte doesn't cause this problem.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• BRAT "helps" bulk up diarrhea. It doesn't prevent it.

Giving any drinks with sugar make diarrhea worse...and our pediatrician says pedialyte, gatorade and juice all make it worse. They're good while vomiting if needed, but should stop if diarrhea develops.

Starch, starch, carbs, carbs....and if there is any little food you can think of that usually loosens his bowels, avoid it at all costs...if anything normally bulks or constipates him, let him have all he wants! (for our oldest it's milk)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I would stay away from the milk . . . when I had the stomach bug I was on strict orders not to drink milk until it had passed. Dairy tends to cause *more* explosive diarrhea. Breastmilk is okay to drink, as often as wanted.

The sugars in pedialyte is just as bad as the sugars in Gatorade. To get DD to drink water, I put a tiny splash of Gatorade mixed with 95% water.

Farting is normal. Just keep up with the BRAT diet. I had DD on it for almost a week, until the diarrhea stopped.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yes it is perfectly normal. Once the vomiting subsides, it is very common for the virus to move it's way on down and out. I'd stay on the brat diet for a while, it shouldn't be much longer tho. He should be feeling better real soon.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 12:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2009