• In the Spotlight:

diarreah question 2

if my 14 month old never poops during the night. but since he has diarreah now, he might go during the night. what do you do - do you change them each time, while they are sleeping, i guess? sorry if this is obvious. just wondering. i'm just sleep deprived too...

shinbi

Asked by shinbi at 6:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• yes, you need to keep him in a dry diaper, he'll get diaper rash.
    Whenever my son got sick, the "sickness" always came out in his poop and at times it was so acidic it burned his bum.

hope he's better soon.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 7:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• With diarrhea, I would change if you can. What we also did was put a smaller size diaper inside the regular diaper for extra protection!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:03 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yup. And it was horrible, a month ago, when DD (who is 14 months now) had the stomach flu. She pooped in her sleep, and I felt horrible waking her up to change her. But the poop will burn their bum! She had blisters on top of the diarrhea (from the poop, even though I changed immediately after pooping) so I couldn't even use wipes. I had to run a bath and swish her bum in it. It hurt her to even do that, so on top of being woken up, her bum was hurting, and she just screamed. The first night I did that 4 times with her . . . It was rough! But if you're using the BRAT diet, the amount of diarrhea should reduce each day and night.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I don't think you'll have to worry about him having diarrhea in the night and you not knowing. He'll be uncomfortable and will let you know. When you put a diaper on him before bed, give his bottom a nice coating of Aquafor if you have it (or get some tomorrow). It's great for healing sore skin and will create a nice barrier to protect his already uncomfortable bottom.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009