how do you help a puppy thats going blind

how do i make her life easyer? i love her so much she has pra. shes only 8mos old i think this is harder on me than the dog. i need to cope with it.

gigi1955

Asked by gigi1955 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Pets

• I have a cat and when he is a kitten he went blind in one eye. Just give them extra attention, take them to the vet to make sure everything is ok health wise and if theres anything that can be done to help. My cat adjusted and now he can get around the house pretty well. He doesnt go outdoors or anything and hes very loving.

Answer by gemgem at 6:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• don't leave stuff on the floor that she can trip over and keep furnitue in the same place. she will remember where everything is so she can get around in the house. When you put it outside to go potty stay out side with her and talk to her so she knows you are there. Maybe leave some music on when you aren't at home
    halfpint6niner

Answer by halfpint6niner at 10:21 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• just pick up the floor, he will walk into everything but eventually learn his way around, keep food / ater in the same place, dont rearrange furnature... etc.... just give him extra love.... he will figure it out, dogs re smart... my son's friends' grandparents have a blind dog and i feel so bad for thepoor dog around the 3 yr olds!!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I grew up with a schnauzer that was blind due to cataracts......I was her seeing eye person...
    the biggie I remember was no surprises...surprised animals will bite you.
    food and water need to be in the same place all the time...and they need there routine, morning walks, playtime, etc.....l aways walk on a leash, careful around small children, they tend to be grabby and stupid and will get bitten.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:18 PM on Feb. 10, 2009