any advice on How to make the switch from a crib to a toddler bed??

my son is turning 2 and im prego. he sleeps just fine in his crib, been sleeping thru the night since 2months old so im afraid of the unknown...of it will suddenly be challenging once i do the switch.got him a cool train bed, how do i make the switch? do i just surprise him and have the new bed set up in his room?(ill need the crib mattress) having anxiety about the change...

lilsamson

Asked by lilsamson at 6:57 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What we did...set up the new bed and remove the crib THEN let him come in. We did it in the morning so the first time sleeping in the bed was at naptime when it wasn't so dark...he could see his room was still the same and all that....

But take the crib down. Out of sight, out of mind and he won't cry right away wanting back in the crib....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i agree with ticcledblue but the only back fire to that idea is that ur about to have another baby and if u dont prep him for the change when the crib comes back into the picture with a new baby in it it might start a whole new set of problems- i think u should get a book to prep a child for a new sibling then explain as simply as possible (so hell understand) that were going to need to give the crib to the baby and since he is such a good big boy and a good big brother hes going to get a great new big boy bed then show him the bed and let him pick out new "big biy" sheets to put on the mattress and show him how much more fun the new bed is this worked with the transition for my 2nd son to his big boy bed
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree with the first post. My son was 21months old when he started getting out of his crib though. And then I just had baby #2 so we got rid of the crib and put the toddler bed up and he was sooo excited. He was a "big" boy now lol
    Chevygurl350

Answer by Chevygurl350 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• We just did it. We had a little trouble getting him to stay in the toddler bed for a few days. I wound up sleeping in his room on the floor for 2 nights, but after that, he was fine with it.
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 8:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think it depends on the child. My daughter likes things to be HER idea and she's not fond of change. I have both her crib and bed set up in her room and she can choose which to sleep in. So far, she's choosen her crib. But that's my child.
    If yours is happy with changes, go for it.
    If you have the time (and room) to let him choose, you can do that too.
    Either way, I'd suggest getting a "My new big boy bed" type storybook and reading it to him at bedtime for a while first.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I am actually going through the same thing.. just got the toddler bed and expecting in the next couple of months... not sure if you will have to keep them in the same room ...we only have 2 bedrooms so I have no choice.. so I can't really take away the crib. I am mostly worried about having to fight with him to stay in the bed.. i think crib is easier cause he knows he can't just climb out...so he's USUALLY good going to bed at night.. but I am scared of the unknown as well...especially since I do not have the energy to fight him at the moment! Good luck to you!
    just4today21

Answer by just4today21 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Have him be in the room with u as up put it up. then tell him this is ur big boy bed. u gotta be a big boy to sleep in it. u'd be surprised how it works, my almost 2 yr old now is wanting to potty train because he's a big boy now. keep him excited about. i like i ask my son if he can show me his big boy bed, he goes running to show me.
    mamaof2boys148

Answer by mamaof2boys148 at 10:00 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• What i did with my 18 month old was i didnt take the crib down, and we set up the new bed. I tried it for naptime and he didnt quite understand what to do but i just kept going in his room laying him down and telling him it was naptime.

After about a week, he got better and after working with him he was sleeping in it everytime so then he watched us take his crib down and that was it for the crib.
    nicoleladams19

Answer by nicoleladams19 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• thank you for all of your responses!! very helpful! im going to wait another 2 weeks to do the switcheroo...i will let you know how it goes...wish me luck!
    lilsamson

Answer by lilsamson at 5:26 PM on Jan. 26, 2009