Question about Irregular periods

Hello! I went to my doctor yesterday because I have very irregular periods and my doctor took some blood to be tested. I am just wondering if anyone else has gone through this. What is the doctor looking for in my blood? what has showed up to be the problem for other people? any input would be greatly appreciated thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Your doc probably ran a few tests on your blood. If they had you fast for it, there was probably a glucose-serum test done which tests for diabetes. They probably ran a TSH test which tests your thyroid. A Prolactin test that tests your pituitary gland and also tests for PCOS, and probably a progesterone test, which just measures your levels to see where they are. Depending on the results, there are lots of different outcomes. If you have Type 2 diabetes or PCOS, they may put you on Metformin. If you have a thyroid problem, they can fix that. If the prolactin test comes back abnormal, it may be some kind of hormonal imbalance. I had this problem, and I wasn't ovulating, and that's why my periods were irregular. It was because I had gained a whole bunch of weight. I haven't lost much, but just exercising has pretty much brought them back.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I have always had irregular periods, it turned out that I have PCOS, poly-cystic ovaries. It is an endocrine disorder that was causing my crazy period cycle, and made it hard to conceive. The doctor was probably checking your hormone levels, and who knows what else! If you do have PCOS, there are meds you can take to get pregnant, and it CAN happen! Best of luck!
    MommytoIsabella

Answer by MommytoIsabella at 8:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• The other moms are right. Your doctor is checking for all sorts of things than can affect your fertility. They are trying to see if any of your hormone levels are outside the normal range. All the tests showed for me was I had a thyroid problem, so I went to a thyroid specialist to get that under control. After that, they couldn't find anything else, so it was "unexplained" and we started treatment based on that diagnosis.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2009