How long does it take for a penny to pass through an infants system?

My 7 month old swallowed a penny not too long ago. Does anyoen know how long it normally takes for them to poop it out? do I need to give him anything to help it out like prunes or karo syrup?

Asked by OneChance at 7:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no u shouldnt give him anything hell be fine- my youngest swallowed a penny once and it was out within 48 hours if it doesnt come out after 48 hours passes then its time for the drs they might wanna do an x ray to make sure it didnt get stuck somewhere along the line stopping up the flow of things if u know wut i mean

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Awesome!! Thank you!! I just wasn't sure how long it normally takes. It seems like he's been fussier since it happened but he also didn't have a nap today either.

Answer by OneChance at 7:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• When my daughter was little she also swallowed a penny. I called the doctor and he said not to worry about it that usually the stomach acid eats it up before it has time to come out.

Answer by TammyG. at 8:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Should take about 2 days.

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 11:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009