How long does it take for a penny to pass through an infants system?

My 7 month old swallowed a penny not too long ago. Does anyoen know how long it normally takes for them to poop it out? do I need to give him anything to help it out like prunes or karo syrup?

OneChance

Asked by OneChance at 7:01 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no u shouldnt give him anything hell be fine- my youngest swallowed a penny once and it was out within 48 hours if it doesnt come out after 48 hours passes then its time for the drs they might wanna do an x ray to make sure it didnt get stuck somewhere along the line stopping up the flow of things if u know wut i mean
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Awesome!! Thank you!! I just wasn't sure how long it normally takes. It seems like he's been fussier since it happened but he also didn't have a nap today either.
    OneChance

Answer by OneChance at 7:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• When my daughter was little she also swallowed a penny. I called the doctor and he said not to worry about it that usually the stomach acid eats it up before it has time to come out.
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 8:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Should take about 2 days.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 11:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009