What is your opinion on the children brought to America illegally?

My husband wasn't even old enough to walk when his parents crossed the border illegally. I understand how illegal immigration negatively affects our country and we need to secure our border, but what about these children who fall through the cracks? My husband worked hard throughout high school and college. He had to pay double the amount of other college students because he had to pay the out-of-state tuition since he couldn't provide proof of citizenship. All his hard work is yet to pay off due to the fact he can't get a regular job. I don't think he did anything wrong. He grew up in the US just as I did. If I were to take my two year old along while I robbed a bank he wouldn't be charged with the crime when he turned 18. So how does it make sense that children brought here illegally can be charged with that crime when they turn 18? How is it fair to deport someone to a country they don't know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If my husband were to be deported he knows no one in his "home" country and is not even fluent in the language. We are working on getting his permanent residency card, but contrary to popular belief it isn't just handed over the day you marry a US citizen. What do you think can be or should be done about these children who grow up in America?
    Anonymous

• Children don't need to pay for their parents faults. I think they must have right to live in U.S.
    Anonymous

• i think that if your a child and brought here that no you should not be charged with a crime but the parents of the children should be charged. they know what they are doing is illegal yet they still do it because they are not getting punished for it.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It['s a shame that his parents didn't think of this. Yes, this i one of those things that make you go...aawww poor illegals. But what are we as a nation supposed to do, just open the boarders and say come on in!? It would over whelm us and would be a HUGE security issue! I AM sorry for your DH. It's not his fault. I WOULD be a little aggravated at his parents for their poor fore thought!

Anonymous

• THANK YOU SO EFFING MUCH, OP. Seriously. You would not BELIEVE how many people tell me that my boyfriend should be "deported" and "sent back to wherever the hell he came from." He came here with his MOTHER when he was SIXTEEN. He wasn't old enough to make his own decisions, so he and his two younger siblings were forced to come here illegally. He's now 23 and can only work in restaurants. He was going to go to college (and pay outrageous out of state tuition like your husband did) but his mom got ovarian cancer and needed a lot of things paid for. She died in 2007. My boyfriend's only hope for citizenship is by marrying me. Even then, once we get married we'll have to pay over a thousand dollars to hire an immigration lawyer, then pay all the fees to apply for his green card.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• (continued)

He has done NOTHING WRONG. Neither have his two younger siblings who can't get their driver's licenses because they don't have social security numbers.

It is absolutely not fair. Those that come here by force shouldn't be punished for it. I'm sorry your husband has been through the things he's been through. Let him know that he's not alone, and I want you to know that you're not alone, either.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:22 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• While it would be morally wrong to send a child back because it is not their fault, why does the problem become our countries?

Did he ever apply to become a citizen? After all this time and he is still not, i have a problem with that. I am asking cuz i am wondering why he can't find a real job. If he is not legal after all this time he should be taken out of the country and try again the LEGAL way.

Sorry caitxrawks but your bf should be deported.... Sixteen is not a child. And if he is here illegally he doesn't deserve to be here. He is ILLEGAL taking a job that a actual citizen could have.

Don't waste your time bashing on my comment this is my opinion.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• anon. 729 if you think they have the right to be here then you can pay for them.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• So you think my daughter should have her father taken away from her because of something her grandmother did? And yes, sixteen IS a child. You're not a legal adult until you're 18 in his country or here in the USA. He was legally bound to his mother until he was eighteen.

You obviously don't understand how difficult it is to come here the legal way. No Joe Blow can just apply for citizenship and get it. You have to have something special to offer, like a special trade or celebrity status. Someone has to want you here. OR if you have enough money, you can apply. But don't talk about shit until you've done your research.

And please don't bash him for "breaking the law." I'm sure you've broken plenty of laws in your time on this earth. And he pays his taxes, pays his insurance bills, he does everything a citizen does. He just doesn't have a social security number. You are ignorant to this subject.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:45 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Sorry but they have no rights to be here. I think that due to circumstances they should be able to have priority when applying for citizenship but they shouldn't get a free pass because they were brought here as a child.  If they are under 18 and the parents are caught here illegally they need to be deported as well. 

Anonymous