I cut my finger with a knife what do I do??

About 20 min. ago I did something idiotic and cut my finger with a serated knife. I've been holding washcloths on it tightly trying to get the bleeding to stop, but still I am bleeding through the cloths and the 2 times I have switched cloths blood has just throbbed out of my finger. It seems stupid to go to the hospital because it is like a slice downwards covering almost the entire top section of my thumb, but should it still be bleeding so heavily, 20 minutes after it happened? ugh it hurts so bad and I am getting dizzy (although the dizzyness is probably just from seeing the blood)!! Thanks everyone.

soccerchik8287

Asked by soccerchik8287 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Health

• Sorry but oy vey, after 20 minutes you shouldn't be here but at a dr.
    Anonymous

• Put a lot of pressure on it...hey were you drinking alcohol, that thins the blood and inhibits coagulation.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• ok take your finger and run it under warm water to help it rinse out and clot..the tie a yarn or something below where you were cut...hold pressure on the cut ..and keep it elevated above your heart......it should stop...if not u may need stitches......if that is the case..u can either chose to go to the dr and get stitched up...or may try the butterfly bandaids......and for the brave...(not recomended) my dad used to super glue himself shut..and us too when we were kids....i am a cook for a living and one day at work i sliced my finger really good...and i did what i told u to do..at first i thought i needed stitches...but after it stopped bleeding it hurt for a few days..but i didnt need stiches...is it a clean cut?
    Anonymous

• perfect example of a "stupid" question..if you are bleeding for 20 min and it wont stop go to the doctor, clinic, hospital whatever but go get help.
    Anonymous

• Jesus people. She cut her finger and is asking for some advice! Damn. If it has not stopped by now, and it is still gushing blood when you take the towel off then you need to head to the ER. Good luck and keep us updated!! :)
    DrusMom

Answer by DrusMom at 8:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I would clean it with soap and water and then apply a little afrin when that dries then add some super glue. Yes it works. People look at me like I'm crazy but it really does work.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Are you on any blood thinners that would make your bleed more than normal? If not, and the cut is still not clotting, you should go seek medical attention. Also, hold your finger above your heart, and that should help with the pulsating and throbbing sensation. Apply direct pressure to help slow down the bleeding until you get to the Dr.
    Jakesmom623

Answer by Jakesmom623 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Please get it checked out, and hopefully you have had a tetanus shot recently, I can't remember if it has to have been (tetanus shot) within the past five or ten years, but it is something that if you haven't had within the appropriate time the doc will give you one! The fact that your bleeding so heavily is reason enough to go to the e.r.. I know you feel foolish, I sliced my own thumb pretty badly last Thanksgiving. I had no intention of going to the e.r. but my dh insisted and I did end up with stitches and a tetanus shot. Don't take any chances.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Go get it taken care of! Don't risk an MRSA infection! It sucks - I know!!!
    Anonymous

• Next time, (hopefully there isn't one) Hold your finger over your head while applying pressure.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009