How do you get your kids to do chores??

My 8yr old son has ADHD, I have 3 girls ages 4,3 and 21mths.I'm due with baby #5 July 5.I'm really runned down with this pregnancy.It seems no matter what I do the kids just won't help with chores...little things like putting their clothes in the laundry basket and putting their toys away before bedtime!!My hubby is in the Army and will be deploying in Aug!!Cutting it putting close.So when he leaves I'll have a newborn and 4 kids that don't pick up...all my family lives far away(WI) we are in WA...so they can't help.

ArmyWife041408

Asked by ArmyWife041408 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Boogie them away. Set the timer and turn on some music. While the music is on everyone works. Start in the front rooms. When the timer goes off reset it for 5 minutes and everyone rests. Then reset the timer and boogie another room. Continue like that until you are too pooped or the house is clean. Make sure you do a boogie first thing in the morning and right before "getting ready for bed time." Usually right after dinner. And there is no whining. Timer goes longer with whining. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I try to make the little things my kids do seem "fun" like they always set the table and pick up toys they love the setting the table part but i do have to keep after them to pick up toys!! You just have to be consistant on making them do it!! my kids are still little but they do have their little things that they have to do!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I love the music idea!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Thanks...I really like the music idea...my girls love to dance...my son will be the one whining but I'm use to that!
    ArmyWife041408

Answer by ArmyWife041408 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 22, 2009