Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

claiming DD on my taxes

PLease don't laugh. I know this sounds stupid. I did not work this last year. Do I still file taxes? If I do, could I claim DD and get money back for her? Im really broke with a broken car, and need the money badly. Her father cannot claim her. So can I? Or do I have to work to claim a child?


Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • If you didn't work at all, you wouldn't be getting any money anyway. You have to have SOME income to file a return. The Child Tax Credit is not a refundable credit, it only reduces your liability, and without income, you wouldn't qualify for the EIC. Unless you paid taxes on something, you can't get anything back. If you're living with someone else that's supporting you, you could work something out with them that you would let them claim her if you could have some of the money. Technically they have the right whether you say yes or not, if they are supporting you, but still. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. I have an accounting degree and studied tax.

    Answer by WadeMom313 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • I don't think you can do that LOL!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • You have to work that year to file taxes sorry........

    Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • It's called EARNED income tax CREDIT. You get a reduction in the amount of taxes for your dependants so you get refunded at the end of the year for money they already took out of your taxes. If you did not EARN any money at a job there is nothing to credit you for.

    Answer by babyfat5 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

  • Go ahead and try. You could qualify for the earned income credit. get the 1040 from and start filling it out. It could be beneficial to have your ex claim the child and work out a deal where you split the extra he may get. I don't do much work with the EIC at the firm I work for, but it doesn't hurt to take a look at the return.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009