What, if anything, have you done to save/conserve money during our difficult economic time?

Jakesmom623

Asked by Jakesmom623 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• We make our own beer. Seriously.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Nothing
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• In order to turn our economy around, people need to spend money. Therefore, I've been doing my part to turn the ship around.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• - Eat out less
    - Buy only sale or generic items at the grocery store
    - Make your own coffee (don't go to D&D or Starbucks....just go to "treat yourself" a couple times/month)
    - Give yourself a pedicure....but keep the manicure appointment since that's hard for some to do themselves!
    - Sell things you haven't used in over 2 years on Ebay or Craigs List.
    - Downgrade your Internet service or TV service (ie. ditch the HBO and the extras)
    - Downgrade your cellphone service (reduce the amount of minutes you get a month and that reduces your monthly payment!!!)
    - Watch how high you put the heat or A/C (depending on where you live).....
    - Unplug appliances unless you are using them. Plugged in appliances waste A LOT of eletricity!!!
    - Pay cash whenever possible. Only use the Credit Cards in emergency and you'll see how much LESS you'll spend.

Good luck!
    mamika

Answer by mamika at 9:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• We have done quite a bit. We have altered our lifestyles a while back due to environmental concerns and it turns out to have saved us some cash as well. We do things like using clothes that are worn out and stained as rags in place of paper towels (cleaning windows, etc..), we buy in bulk and avoid buying anything with too much wasted packaging. I place a five gallon bucket in the shower ( until the water reaches desired temp) I use this collected water for plant watering. I recycle aluminum cans ( my elderly neighbor supplements his income with these from the entire neighborhood).
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I recycle , reuse and re purpose just about everything and it definitely has saved us some cash. We unplug any appliance that we aren't using and wash only full loads of laundry on cold water settings, switched out regular light bulbs and use only cfl bulbs ,may not sound like much but this has saved us nearly $300 on our electric bill last year alone. I hang out any laundry we may have on sunny days. I don't buy anything that requires dry cleaning and we use food scraps ( no meat or dairy scraps) to compost and use as fertilizer for our small but bountiful veggie garden. Whatever we don't grow ourselves, we buy locally grown, cheaper and better for the environment ( not trucked in).
    hibicent

• I hunt for and use coupons along with any store specials, don't use credit cards, pay cash or debit cards only, My friends and I also "trade" each other children's clothing that our own have outgrown and that saves a great deal as well. We trade around toys and books that they outgrow as well. Changing our lifestyles like we have has brought us closer to our friends and neighbors and has helped us all save a bit as well as do something for the environment.
    hibicent

• Well I have a job where I eat with the family meaning I work twelve hours a day 4 days a week and whatever they eat I eat saves me a lot of money.I hardly buy extras like cosmetics,I do not buy clothes that much I wear my nurse uniform and when all my bills are paid I put away 400 to five hundred away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Found a great online store where I can buy in bulk and not drive to the grocery store

Downgraded internet, phone, cable package to basics only.

Buy generic brand names and much as possible on items I can't buy from my online store I found

Made a commitment to save one dollar for every hour I work each week. This is difficult but I just budget as though I made one dollar less an hour than I do.

Plan my errands in order so I don't take multiple trips or waste gas. Glad it's down but will still conserve.

Found EXTRA creative recession proof ways to make extra money so that I actually have something to save.
    Mimi2mommy

Answer by Mimi2mommy at 1:14 AM on Jan. 25, 2009

• Mi mi2m0mmy, how about sharing the name of that great online store.........sounds 'great". lol
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 10:18 PM on Jan. 25, 2009