Has this ever happened to you?

When I lived in PA, I received a summons to go to court. According to the summons, my son had beat up another student and broke his glasses. I knew nothing about it.

I go to court, the judge called Whitesell, they write the summonses, and was told that no incident was reported on that day for my son or the alleged victim.

The judge then informed me that I was still responsible for paying for the broken glasses even though there was no proof of the incident.

I filed an appeal, and never heard anything about it again. When I sold my house in PA, there was a lien for payment of the glasses.

Shouldn't the case have been thrown out since there wasn't anything on record? No proof of the incident whatsoever!

sondray

Asked by sondray at 7:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in About CafeMom

• rather there is a record or not is not the question. If your son did in fact do this then it needs to be paid. I am sure the school or where ever it happened has a record of the incident.
    But now that there is a lien, you have to pay it off or you cannot sell you house unless you want to keep waiting until it is actually thrown out.
    Good luck but I would make my son pay for them if he did in fact do it.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• He did not do it. The school didn't have any record of it either, even though the victim said that they were both taken to the office and parents were called. I never got that call, and my son was not suspended which is common practice when a fight occurs.

The strange thing was that the summons for court was in my name, not my sons. My son was 14 at the time and the victim was 17. The victim even acknowledged that he didn't know my son. I asked him well why did you say it was him? He replied someone told him that's who it was. Well obviously it wasn't, no record of the alleged fight at the school or Whitesell.

I was told that it should have been thrown out with no evidence being presented. But it wasn't. When I sold my house the 39.95 was taken out for the glasses that my son didn't break.

I just thought it was unfair to me and my son, being blamed for something he didn't do.
    sondray

Answer by sondray at 9:11 PM on Jan. 22, 2009