do you know where I can apply to get a speech therapist for my 3 yr old son?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My dd has been in FREE speech therapy since she was 18 months old.

I just mentioned my concern to her ped. and she refered us to our local state funded program where she was tested and found to have a delay.

She use to attend twice a week. Now she attends a state funded preschool for 2 hours 3 times a week.

Most states offer this type of program. Your Dr should know who in your state to contact.

Anymore questions on delays, and you can message me. sometimes It takes me a day or two to read my emails though ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:42 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think you can call your town school district . And don't be afraid to ask them questions.
    minela22

Answer by minela22 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Your public school district will serve students starting at age three. Call the central office and ask for the special education supervisor. Tell her that you want to make a referral to have your child's speech evaluated. They will ask you to attend a referral meeting to sigh paperwork giving permission for the testing. They will screen his vision and hearing and test his articuation skills. If his speech errors are not age appropriate he may qualify for free therapy at least 30 mintues once or twice per week.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 9:50 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• When my twins were 3 I went to our school district office and asked for them to get tested by a speech therapist. Both my boys were tested and have been going to speech once a week for half an hour for the past year. It's a free program through the school district, when my boys start kindergarten and if they still need speech they will continue speech. The class in on campus. I am so thankful for this, my boys speech has improved so much!

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 10:40 PM on Jan. 22, 2009