Do believe that every citizen of the United States should be treated equally? Thanks to adoption, we adoptees are not!

In the United States only six states (Alabama, Alaska, Kansas, Maine, New Hampshire and Oregon) allow adopted persons access to their original birth certificates. We believe that it is discriminatory to legally withhold personal information and documents from citizens that all other tax-paying voting citizens are entitled to!!

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 7:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Adoption

• I believe that adoptee's should be entitled everything that a US citizen should. Just like if a woman marries a man from another country and becoming a citizen that way. To me it is the same- another person you are bringing into your family.

As for being able to access their own original birth certificates- it is part of their legal history, same as medical records. They should be able to access them and view them at their request.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 5:08 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I agree with you that all adoptees should have rights to their original birth certificates. I am not an adoptee but I am an adoptive mom. I think it is so unfair and sad that this information is withheld from an adoptee, they have every right to know!
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I actually have a photocopy of our daughter's original birth certificate from before we adopted her. I must admit that I was very disturbed when we got her new birth certificate where I was listed as birth mother. I didn't like that. As much as I would have loved to have given birth to her, I didn't. But thankfully I do have that photocopy. And honestly, it really doesn't say anything that I couldn't have told her anyway.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 11:11 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• As much as I agree with your point of view, I also see how this could infringe on the rights of another US citizen... a birth mother/father has a right to their privacy also as is their "US citizen right".
    Anonymous

• Hi, you and I have talked before! I agree, but what I wonder is what was promised to the birth-parents. Can they go back on that promise? Is that legal? It would be awful if someone was trying to keep anonymity, felt secure in what was promised, only for the law to change. I'm just playing devil's advocate. But I know I want my birth certificate!
    addzoomom

Answer by addzoomom at 1:19 PM on Jul. 22, 2008

• The original birth certificate is sealed when the adoption is finalized in court, not when the birth mother signs relinquishment papers. A child relinquished but never adopted has an unsealed birth certificate. If protection of the birth mother were intended, the original birth certificate would be sealed upon termination of her legal relationship to the child, not at the beginning of the legal relationship of the adoptive family.
    Anonymous

• Rights are a commonsense one-size-fits-all policy and protection for all citizens without exception. All adults should have the same access to government-held records of their births, whether adopted or not. Preventing adult adoptees from obtaining this information is discriminatory

quotes from http://bastardette.blogspot.com/

*The state must not keep secrets about its citizens; it must not withhold any personal information from them.

* The state's job is to issue an original birth certificate to ANY citizen who requests it for himself or herself.

* State governments must not have any special rules that apply only to adopted adults.

* Adopted adults do not want any special treatment; they want to be treated like all other adult citizens

* The state has NO compelling interest in adoptees after they reach the age of majority.

* Adopted adults should be "aged out" of the system i
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 5:04 PM on Jul. 22, 2008

• please see measure 58 anniversary reports on the implementation of the law that allowed adoptees to order birth certificates listing their biological parent(s). in Oregon for stats on contact preferance.

http://oregon.gov/DHS/ph/chs/58update.shtml#05312001

adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 5:24 PM on Jul. 22, 2008

• Thank you saying that. All I know is somewhere in this world I have 3 brothers or sisters that I would love to meet. But I cant get my information, and good grief my birth mother is dead and my adopted mother is senile and her blood daughter found a way to get rid of me.

motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 12:32 PM on Jul. 23, 2008

• There are people who can view sealed records and I am surprised there has not been a law passed making certain professions off limits to adoptees to prevent them from viewing their records but I suppose even the "system" realizes that would be going too far-but it would not surprise me. We are not entitled to the same rights as everyone else under the law so they could go even farther to prevent us from knowing where we came from.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 AM on Aug. 27, 2008