A BETTER RACISM QUESTION.... (edited for clarity)

Do you notice it when against a race other than your own?
Do you stand up against it even when in a group of people all the same color?
Are you careful to make sure you and your children are friends with a rainbow of people (in order to help further erode racism)? By "careful" I mean is diversity important to you when selecting a neighborhood, school, church, etc

Mom2Just1Kiddo

Asked by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 6:14 PM on Mar. 25, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't make sure of anything, we're just friends with all different races and religions. Of course I stand up against,I do notice it I live in a huge raist homophobic community, yay me.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 6:18 PM on Mar. 25, 2012

• 1. Significantly more in Minnesota than in El Paso, Texas, where I grew up
    2. Absolutely. I've never been shy about voicing my concern if racist sentiment is brought out into the open.
    3. Not really. I'm careful to make sure she's got friends who respect her but I don't notice race typically. There are two black kids in her entire school; she's friends with the younger girl and the only thing mine has said with regard to race what when she first met her and said "Amber has the most pretty skin; it's like chocolate colored!" LOL
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 6:21 PM on Mar. 25, 2012

• If I can pop in again though, racism has probably been around since we became bipedal. I wouldn't be surprised if brown monkeys flung poo at grey monkeys. It's pretty inherent, in my opinion, and I don't see it going away. If it wasn't race, it'd be something else
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 6:23 PM on Mar. 25, 2012

• Do you notice it?  Mostly just when it's blatant.  I don't see it as much as some other people see it and for some people it seems like they see it even when it's not there.  I guess I would just have to say that it's not the first conclusion I jump to unless it's painfully obvious.

Do you stand up against it even when in a group of people all the same color?  Yes, when it is rude and hurtful.  I do have a black friend that refers to white people as 'your kind' when talking to me.  For some reason I think that's amusing, but I don't get offended by it.

Are you careful to make sure you and your children are friends with a rainbow of people (in order to help further erode racism)?  I don't have to, they have a very diverse school and we live in a diverse neighborhood.  All they care about is if the person is nice and fun to play with.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:27 PM on Mar. 25, 2012

• despite being from the south i never really encountered racism until i moved to northern idaho
    living in southern idaho i think most people keep it under wraps and to themselves

we stand up against all bigotry in that you can't say anything bad about anyone for something they have no control over: i.e., race/ sexual orientation etc.

a rainbow of people? no i do not actively seek out people of color to befriend ( but less than 1% of my town classifies as a person of color) so it's not as if we actually have that option open to us
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 6:29 PM on Mar. 25, 2012

• I notice all bigotry, whether it's against someone's nationality, skin color of sexual orientation. It's all the same beast with different names.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:33 PM on Mar. 25, 2012

• I think that "Are you careful to make sure you and your children are friends with a rainbow of people" is just as racist as avoiding people of color. Just be open to people. Some you will like. Some you won't. Who cares what color they are. If I try to 'make sure', then it is fake and insincere. My kids will know that too and so will the people you are 'befriending'. Making friends is natural if you don't TRY too hard.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 25, 2012

• I should clarify - do you notice racism when it is against a race other than your own. I suspect we all notice when it is against us. :)
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Comment by Mom2Just1Kiddo (original poster) at 6:37 PM on Mar. 25, 2012

Answer by BrawnwynII 14 minutes ago
    32195 Level 27 Politics & Current Events 101 1 0 select as best answer
    report answer

I agree Brawnwynll, it is natural to be suspicious of someone who is different.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Comment by Mom2Just1Kiddo (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Mar. 25, 2012

Answer by jesse123456 6 minutes ago
    83796 Level 36 Politics & Current Events Degree 1 0 select as best answer
    report answer

Probably poorly worded on my part. We make sure we are in neighborhoods, churches, schools, etc that are diverse. The friendships follow.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Comment by Mom2Just1Kiddo (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Mar. 25, 2012