WHY are Millions of North Americans prohibited by law from accessing personal records that pertain to their historical, genetic and legal identities- because they were ADOPTED?

Nowhere on any adoption contract or in any legislation is it written that an adopted person can not possess their original birth certificate or why the birth certificate is withheld from the adoptee. Opposition to adopted persons possessing their original birth certificates will present legally unsupprted claims that a relinquishing mother has the right to privacy and to be protected from her daughter or son relinquished to adoption, therefore allowing a mother a lifetime of privacy and anonymity. This is discrimination. Relinquishing mothers do not seal their children's original birth certificates - the original birth certificates are sealed by state governments.

adopteeme

Asked by adopteeme at 7:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I feel bad that you haven't received a response. I'm sorry you're going through this and it does seem unfair. I'm not sure anyone here has an answer though. You have a valid point. Do you have a lawyer? Does the ACLU have a stance on this? I tried searching their site and "adoption" brings up a lot of gay rights stuff. Try contacting them because this sounds like a violation of your civil liberty. Good Luck
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 9:19 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• The importance of family & health information is fairly new while privacy is a long standing issue. It will take a while for the laws to catch up and to find a way to balance the two issues. It will take people like you pushing for change. But it will probably end up as a balancing act between the two, not a complete change the other direction.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

• There are some "adoptee" advocacy programs out there. I would suggest you check into those. I gave a child up for adoption 27 years ago. The adoptive parents and I made an agreement that he could look me up any time he wanted. He hasn't.
    Some adoptee's want to find birth parents, some don't. Can you imagine though...the circumstances where a very young woman gave birth, for the good of her child and herself, relinquished custody...fast forward 20 years. Same woman now married with children. Can you imagine having someone show up on your doorstep? While I can sympathise with an adoptee wanting to know the people whose genetics they carry, I can also see the side of the adoptive Mother. My "other" children know about the one I put up for adoption, so it would not be a problem.
    Mom4Gma2

Answer by Mom4Gma2 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 22, 2008

• quotes from http://bastardette.blogspot.com/

*The state must not keep secrets about its citizens; it must not withhold any personal information from them.

* The state's job is to issue an original birth certificate to ANY citizen who requests it for himself or herself.

* State governments must not have any special rules that apply only to adopted adults.

* Adopted adults do not want any special treatment; they want to be treated like all other adult citizens

* The state has NO compelling interest in adoptees after they reach the age of majority.

adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 1:55 AM on Jul. 26, 2008