weaning a 1 1/2 year old baby off the pacifier and the bottle?

ok my son is 1 1/2 going to be 2yrs old in about 6 days and i need to know how i can soothe him to go to bed and to take his naps during the day. I all so want to know how i can wean my son off the bottle he has to have his bottle when he goes to bed and when he takes his afternoon naps please help mommy in need

M.H.J.CMama0407

Asked by M.H.J.CMama0407 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We took the paci away at 5 mo and she cio. We gave her what we call a lovey. It is a blanket with a little animal attached to it. She cried at bed and naps for about 7 days. It was awful. I would not go back though. If you are going to do it you have to firm and it will be hard. I don't know of any easier way to do it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:58 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• the bottle shoud have been gone at one it causes more damage to the mouth than the passy. cold turkey is what we did i would do one at a time like the bottle then pappy. our dentist told us with the pappy our son is on at naps and at bedtime is fine they suck it til they fall asleep then spit it out. he told us to worry about it at 3
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree with the first post. I do know from reading and experience that most things take about 3days without giving in at all to work. After the 3 days you will see a huge improvement. The one thing I do suggest tho is doing one at a time. He is little, and I think taking both the paci and the bottle at once might be too stressful for him. I would do the bottle first and then in a few weeks to a month, take the paci. I took my daughter's paci at 18months and my son's at 14mths..they both did fine after the 3days. You might even find him not needing as much as you think. Good Luck, hold strong!!
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• For either one, please know the longer you wait to take them away, the harder it will be. I taught daycare for 5years, trust me on this.
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I would ditch the bottle first and then work on the paci. Get some sippy cups and just go for it. You can replace the pre-nap and pre-bed bottle with a cup of milk and a little snuggle with mommy (perhaps even add a story or two) to help him relax and get ready for nap/bed. Then put him in his crib/bed, tell him "night night, see you in awhile/in the morning" and lights out. You will probably have a rough couple of days but he'll adjust as long as you are consistent and continue with the pre-nap/pre-bed routine.
    Once he's ditched the bottle completely, then work on the paci. Start by only letting him have it at nap/bed time and then take them away completely. Tell him he's a big boy and he needs to give his pacis to little babies that don't have any.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I had my daughter off the paci but then she got sick and was so whinney and cranky and teething I gave it back to her, she was so pathetic. I'm regretting it. I couldn't find one one day and just didn't give one to her and she was fine. Out of site out of mind. She just turned a year so they are both going soon. I only give her the bottle in the morning and at night. I would do one at a time though, cold turkey.
    mamaloveda

Answer by mamaloveda at 11:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009