My toddler whines and screams as a past-time. How can I make it stop?!!

I don't give her anything after she starts whining so I know I am not enforcing it. It's like her default setting. It is making me not ever want to be around her. She will put stuff purposefully out of her reach just so she can whine for me to get it! Anyone with a similar experience or have advice? It's almost like she enjoys and knows she is getting under my skin. Should I get tough? What kind of discipline? Ignoring it doesn't seem to help much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ignore it. I know it will be hard but they do it for attention. If ignoring him/her doesn't work, let him/her know that they will get a time out every time they whine. Try the ignoring thing first.
    Hope this helps.
    04mom07

Answer by 04mom07 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I think this is so totally normal! But this stage in life they want your undivided attention, and realistically you can't give it to them...but they want it, so they will do anything to get it, even if it is negative attention. Don't yell or punish, but I wouldn't totally ignore it either. Ignore it at first, but when it continues get down to her level and in a low voice tell her that it is not acceptable, and tell her how she should be behaving...then point her in the direction of a positive thing to do. It won't work overnight, but it will work. Hugs...BELIEVE me..I KNOW how frustrating this is!!! Hugs!
    MommytoIsabella

Answer by MommytoIsabella at 8:27 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Ignore it...girls whine....wait til she is a teen...we now use the term bitching lol...it is just what they do. The less attention she gets the better it will get...but she is a girl so she will always be verbal. Good luck mama.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I would try giving her more attention. One-on-one, full undivided attention will probably help and praise her when she is not whining. I also would want to make sure that she isn't sick. Let her help you with daily activities. She is whining because she has a need and toddlers need a lot of their parent's attention. I do not agree with the previous statement. Why have children if we're not going to give then a lot of attention? They grow up really fast and you'll wish she were still small one day.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 9:43 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Ignore it when she does it. count to 10 in your head just very obviously continue doing what you are doing..of course keep an eye on her so she doesnt get hurt. She has learned that if she squeels or screams..she gets your attention. When you speak to her..talk quietly. If you are yelling ever, stop yelling. You will be suprised how much quieter your house will get. Try to give her more quality time. I learned w/mine that they just needed some activity. So I would spend an 30 minutes spending real quality 1 on 1 time with them. Like reading books, coloring, cuddling, talking. They will get the attention & activity they need, then it gave me an hour to do my thing. it is how I was able to work at home 6 yrs. Ask her not to yell...and show her how to ask you properly..staying calm &quiet yourself. Do your best not to show anger or frustration. If she throws a fit, deter her attention onto something else.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 10:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2009