Should I tell the school what is going on?

My son is on meds for adhd but the doctor said I don't have to mention it to the school if I don't want to. What is the right thing to do?
and Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• well, does he have to take them during school? if not, then there is no reason to unless he has behavioral issues that effect his school. does that make sense? if it would beneficial for the teachers to know, you can discuss it with the teacher and not the whole school.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If he has to take any meds during school hours then you have to tell them, and if not then I would probably tell them anyways so that they can take note of any potential side effects.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• my friend is going thro this with her son and she told his school but they started acting funny about him after she told them .i personally would tell them .
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I would tell someone that he is on medication. It needs to be in his records incase he has a reaction.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't unless he has to take them at school. Kids tend to get Labeled. And yes they even treat them differently. I think thats sad and just wrong!
    shebearncub

Answer by shebearncub at 9:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You do not have to tell his school or teachers but they can be his advocate and they can be a great help. I worked professionally, as a therapist in a school, with children. Many of those children were diagnosed with ADHD and taking medication. Some reasons to share: they can tell you if the medication is assisting him with his specific symptoms. Many children don't physically respond well to certain medications. Without knowing he is taking a medication for a medical condition, they won't know why he has a headache, acting odd, not eating lunch...ect. Also appetite is often lost on specific kinds of medication. A teacher might try to coerce your child into eating and punish for not eating. cont...

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• cont...If there is a more severe complication or your child were involved in an accident at school it is always a good idea for the school to have information about current medications. So now onto possible negatives. Some staff may not agree with ADHD as a medical condition in general. Or they may not believe more specifically your child is living with ADHD. There will always be some teachers who will prefer to pass it off as poor parenting. But you may find you have support and advocates for your child. Also now that a doctor has officially diagnosed your son you are legally able to have accomodations made in his learning plan. So there could be some benefits to him there. You can always call the school district to get information about whay might be available. Weigh the pros and cons. But my suggestion: always safer to clue them in. They legally can't hold any medical issue against you or your child.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I would tend to disclose this for a number of reasons. First, a teacher is in the best position to help evaluate whether the medication is working. I wonder why the doctor didn't ask for behavior checklists to be done by the teacher(s) or maybe he did and this is a different teacher or new school? Seasoned teachers are used to kids being on ADHD meds. Lots of kids are, so it shouldn't be stigmatizing in most cases.
    StephanieLtd

Answer by StephanieLtd at 10:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yes - tell the school. There is not a stigma attached to it - there are SO many kids on meds these days.
    However, the teachers will be able to judge better if a "bad day" is because he maybe forgot his meds, or if the meds are not working well (or are working well.) All that information may be needed when / if it comes time to switch meds or dosages.
    Work with your school on this.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 7:16 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I would tell them for many reasons. In case something happens that might be important information for them to have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Jan. 23, 2009