Checkups?

My son just went for his 1 year check up on the 9th, I thought we were suppose to make an appointment for his 18 month checkup but when we got to the desk and asked if we needed to set up another appointment they told us no to just go ahead out. Is it normal to go for a one year checkup and then not have another one until he's 2 or do I need to call his doctors office and set up one for 18 months? He's on medicaid and in the books they give you when you sign up it says he doesn't need another one until 2, but that seems like a long time to me without being checked out by a doctor and being that young.

bassyentihw

Asked by bassyentihw at 9:05 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've always thought it was a scheduled well child exam at 18 months AND my son gets vaccinations at that check up as well, so I'd double check with the office. I guess it depends on what vaccines he's already had. I agree with you though, it seems like to long to go without a checkup!
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My doc said come back at 15 mths
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Some places (my pediatricians office included) won't make appointments that far in advance. Hell, my daughters doctor won't even make appointments 3 months in advance. She had her 6 month appointment and I stopped at the desk to make her 9 month appointment and they told me to call in a couple months to make it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:07 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I went back at 15 months.. and haven't been back. She's two and I will make an apt eventually. You can make one for 18 months if you want.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i think it is at 15 months when they need more shots then they go at 2 years
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 9:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• He just finished his last round of the 3 shots at his last appointment. So he's done with those but his doctors office hasn't ever given me a paper saying what shots he got when or what shots he still needs so I have no idea. All the people i've talked to their doctors gave them a Immunization Record book to keep and i've never gotten one. Usually when we got into his doctors office after they call us back into the room they ask us what we're there for like they don't have him on record for a checkup, they always ask what his birthday is too when they have the paper right in front of them. Every shot he's gotten has been a surprise we get into the room and they tell us that he has to get shots that day.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 9:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Just as a side note:

they ask you for his birth date as a verification that they have the right baby.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:38 PM on Jan. 22, 2009