one year old very congested and flemy sounding cough crys after he coughs, dr said he looks fine, but he cant stay asleep he wakes up crying is there anything i can do to help him besides baby tylenol ..no fever

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put a vaporizer in his room. Also, I've read that if you put Vick's vapo rub on the bottom of the feet and then put on socks, it will help with a cough and is safe even for babies. I've not tried it, but it might be worth a shot if you have a miserable baby. Also, I might try Infant Motrin instead of Tylenol-- it worked better for my kids, plus, he may be crying because his throat is raw and the Mortrin (ibuprofen) is also an anti-inflammatory. God bless!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• When my son was stuffy, my pediatrician recommended to let him sleep in an upright position (i.e. put the baby in the car seat or swing). I put my LO in his swing, ran the vaporizer and the little guy was feeling better in no time.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I agree with the PP's about the vaporizer (or even in a steamy shower). Then some baby vicks on the chest and feet (with socks). I would also switch between the tylenol and motrin because I'm sure the babies throat is sore.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:23 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• my so did this too, i ran a warm shower sat with him in the bathroom for about 10 minutes, then patted his back like burping just a littl eharder, not hard enough to hurt him but not so lighly, you want to break to mucas up in the chest...once broken up stick the burgar sucker thingy in his mouth yes my son screamed bloody murder but i stucked so much flem out of him i was amazed....then the vapor rub on his chest and feet....after about 3 nights his cough was so much better.......
    I hope he feels better SOON
    Anonymous

• vaporizer, keep the baby in an upright position.. if these don't work, call your pediatriction about nasal drops for babies.. put a drop in count out (15 secs? sorry been a while) and suck it back out.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:29 PM on Jan. 22, 2009