Flying with infant

Anyone ever fly with a 6.5 year old? My son will be that age when we fly to Florida in March. It's a nonstop flight -- 2 1/2 hours. I'm just wondering what you did during the flight. Was he/she a lap child or have a car seat? What were their favorite toys/DVDs, anything? I'm so worried!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/Safety-comes-first-when.html?id=11465

http://flightips.com/flying-with-a-baby-what-to-bring/

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/children/formula.shtm
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• okn i have alot alot of practice at this....first is your child 6 yrs or 6 months? big diff in the preporations...i have flow with both my kids...as infants and with one being and infant and th eother being 3.....i once got stranded with them both alone in an airport for 12 hours!....i have this one down....let me know the correct age and i will tell u the what the best way was for me.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:13 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• infant? you mean 6.5 month old right? I flew with my daughter at 7.5 months. She was in my lap but the stewardess found a row of empty seats so I set her in her own seat occasionally if I wanted to eat. It was fun. I bought her a couple new toys and snacks and she had a blast. I had a 15 hour trip lol.. 2 flights and a 4 hour layover. I was going to Germany. I nursed on the decent and on take off for her ears :)

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:15 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• lol sorry. Yeah, 6.5 month old....
    Anonymous

• Oh my, 15 hour trip????? I am so glad it well for you!!
    Anonymous

• Try traveling with a 8 yr old, a 6 yr old, a 5 yr old, a 3 yr old and a 4 month old!!! We went to disney in November. The plane ride was also a nonstop 2 1/2 hr flight but it goes by so fast. They slept, played with their Ninendo DS's, watched dvd's, ate and it was over. Don't worry. It will be fun ;)
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• oh a 6 month old. In that case this link might help...

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/106738/What_can_or_cant_I_bring_on_a_plane_for_my_4_month_old
    MomToFour247

Answer by MomToFour247 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• yep 15 hours. I flew 1 hour from Fl to atlanta. Spent 4-5 hours in atlanta, then had a 9 hour flight to Germany. Flying isn't so bad at all. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• ok in an airport put your child safety first....with a child that age u can use a snuggly...it is wonderfull then use a back pack to carry your things in...buy a few new toys and dont let them see them till the flight.....pack lots and lots of little snacks....with your childs age i would suggest the gerber melt away finger food....and pack the baby food and formula....for layovers....and bring lots extra jsut in case u get stranded...bring the car seat and check it as luggage....and keep your child in the snuggly on you in the plane..during decent and take off the will ask you to take it off and hold the baby...but u only have to unstrap it not take the baby out....make a few bottles of HOT water...so when u go to use it later it will be cooled off the the right temp..CONT..
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:20 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• CONT....also pack a premade bottle...and extra formula...try to get one of those container that u can pre portion the formula in....i learned from experience when the baby is crying on a plane it is hard to fumble witht he baby the bottle and hold the can and scoop out the formula....as for the back pack u would carry put the diaper bag in the bottom....with everything u need in it....touys in the pockets....and bottles..in the mesh holders on the sides....and on top place your purse with your tickets and everything....it is much easier to carry one bag with the others in it then to have 2 or three to fumble with while tending for a baby....
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:24 PM on Jan. 22, 2009