Would you feel skeptical about this?

My neighbors son is going to have surgery on his penis (he is only 2 yrs. old) poor baby, only because when he was born he did get circumsized but I guess they did not do enough snipping, Now you can not see the rim of the head.
So they are going to correct it. What are your thoughts on this?
Is this common? The mom is pretty nervous about this...I don't blame her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Both my boys are circumsized, but I don't think I could make him go back at 2 to have it done. They are too aware, and will probably have pain afterwards and I would not want my son to have to deal with that. Unless it was something that would threaten his health I would leave it be, personally.
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It doesn't surprise me, which is why I wont circumcise a boy if we have one. I would be nervous too but is it causing problems or is it just to make him look more "circumcised"? If it's not a health issue, and a vanity issue then it's wrong to do.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I'm wondering if what happened is the same thing that happened to us. When my first son was circumcised we walked in to it pretty blindly (26 yrs ago) they told us nothing about no anesthsia, they said nothing about after the bell comes off you HAVE to retract that foreskin multiple times a day, everyday, for at least a yr. If not...the skin will readhere to the corona. (the rim of the penis. My sons did. A urologist gave him some meds that knocked him out and manually forced the kin down. He was in great pain the next few days and for the next 2 yrs. Every day, multiple times the skin had to be retracted. If the skin has readhered there is no choice but correction. The sebum (head cheese discharge) will build up and cause infection or inability to urinate if it pushes agaist the urethra.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Neither of my boys had to have their skin pulled back after the circumcision. They didn't have enough skin to pull back. All we had to do, was wait for the gauze to come off of it once we came home, and then make sure to put vaseline on him with every diaper change until the redness went away. I think it all depends on the Dr. doing it.
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• It is very common for doctors today to remove less foreskin than they used to. They leave more to prevent erection problems in adulthood. Many parents don't seem to realize that a childs penis looks very different than an adult one, and it can take quite a while for the boy to "grow into" the remaining foreskin. At 2 years old, it might look like he has too much foreskin, but at 5 or 7 his penis may look like how the parents are used to seeing a circumcised penis look. I wouldn't have cosmetic surgery performed on my child once, let alone twice.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 11:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Yes this is very common. My first son's actually reattached itself. My dr didn't cut much off of it, and he told me to push it back. I'm like ewwwwwwwwwwwwww............then he'd ask me if I was pushing it back every time I changed his diaper.....I'd never heard of it, and neither had anyone else I knew that had boys.......I thought that was gross.......lol. But he was a chubby boy and I did my mommy duties and made sure it was pulled back, and it ended up detaching itself once he lost his chubbiness down there, it pulled itself back. I think he was 2 1/2 tho b4 it all became normal.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 12:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2009