My son will be 4 in January and he is so lazy about using the potty. He's done it before but is still not going on his own. If I say "try to go potty" he never wants to I have to drag him in there. We've tried big boy underwear, we've done cheerios and rewards, and stickers... everything! I'm hoping to get him into preschool but at this rate I dont see it happening.

coastmama3

Asked by coastmama3 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If he knows how to use the potty and is just being difficult, I heard from someone to let them clean themselves up after an accident, help them the least amount as possible...hope this helps
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 7:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Does he want to go to preschool? I'd say by 4 he certainly should be going on his own without you having to ask or drag him in there. I agree with making him clean it up too. If he wants to go to preschool tell him he will not be able to go if he is not going to the potty on his own. Honestly, I probably wouldn't say a word to him about it again. I wouldn't ask if he needed to go or anything. Sounds like it could be a "power struggle" thing. He's getting bigger and wanting to have more control over things, this is an easy one for him to have control over. Is there anything he could be rebelling against too? Any major life changes going on to where he's looking for attention and will take even the negative? (not that that's your fault sometimes that's just how kids handle things)
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 10:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• no actually lol...no major life changes at all. I think I'll try the clean it up himself thing though. Thanks for your help!
    coastmama3

Answer by coastmama3 at 9:39 AM on Jul. 20, 2008