single mom claiming daughter? TAX QUESTION

Hi i'm a single mom and was wondering how much you would have to make a year to qualify for claiming a kid and getting $5000 back? I only work like 4-5 months last year and was wondering what the cut off was to recieve that amount back. I hope i make the cutoff and get back more than the usual $1000.

oxojen178oxo

Asked by oxojen178oxo at 9:36 PM on Jan. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think you would have had to had over $5,000 taken out of your income in taxes since it is a refund, I'm pretty sure they cant refund money you didnt pay. If that makes any sense but I hear ya I got my fingers crossed for a fat refund too
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I'd be grateful for the $1000. If you work you should file.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:39 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• 1. You don't "qualify" to claim your child. If your child is your dependend then you claim them as a dependent on your return.
    2. You child will get you a $1,000 credit to help reduce your income. You're income
    3. there is no threashold to get $5,000 back. Either you pay taxes and that gets refunded, or you qualify for a refundable credit. But that's not going to give you $5,000.
    Anonymous